75HP Johnson acceleration hesitation and middle dead zone need to pump speed control

fishing_Rick

Recruit
I have a 75 HP Johnson that I have rebuilt the carbs changed all fuel lines rebuilt fuel pump, changed spark plugs, checked timiming and it seems OK, looked at all wiring, adjusted carb linkage, had to change speed and shifter cables. I am not sure what to check next. It idles and starts OK but when I try to increase speed it either hesitates or dies. But when I goose the throttle control I can get it to go like a bat out of hello and will cotinue until I throttle Down.
Can someone guess what I:confused: might have done wrong or what might be the problem?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 75HP Johnson acceleration hesitation and middle dead zone need to pump speed cont

Howdy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You need to check the link 'n' synch, Rick. The throttle and the ignition stator are not advancing smoothly together; one of them is probably sticking.

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 75HP Johnson acceleration hesitation and middle dead zone need to pump speed cont

Howdy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You need to check the link 'n' synch, Rick. The throttle and the ignition stator are not advancing smoothly together; one of them is probably sticking.

I second that. Definently sounds like a link 'n' synch problem. As the condition "worsens", if that is a word, the engine will not idle at all without choke and then eventually you will not be able to advance the throttle at all without the engine dying.