1984 35 hp Evinrude starter removal to get to carb to get to shift linkage bolt?

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice
I am having a hard time removing the starter to tis motor does anyone have any pointer on this.
Do I have to remove the starter to get the carb?
I am replacing the impeller and rebuilding the carb. I think i have to remove to starter first then the carb then shift linkage bolt of the lower unit.

does anyone have experience with this?

LEad me down the right path

Thank you.

Re: 1984 35 hp Evinrude starter removal to get to carb to get to shift linkage bolt?

It will be much easier if you remove the starter. What are you having a hard time with?

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1984 35 hp Evinrude starter removal to get to carb to get to shift linkage bolt?

are you removing the starter bracket and starter as one piece?..you should

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, remove starter and bracket( together) as AITn said, to remove carb.

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, remove starter and bracket( together) as AITn said, to remove carb.

how many bolts hold on the starter bracket? and where. I have taken off 2 but no cigar.

thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Look real CLOSELY as there are normally three. One might be the stud where your neg battery cable attaches.

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I will check that and get back to you

Look real CLOSELY as there are normally three. One might be the stud where your neg battery cable attaches.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You DO NOT disconnect the shift linkage up there. The shift rod connector is behind the plastic water intake screens on the side of the lower unit. Remove the screens for access

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

You DO NOT disconnect the shift linkage up there. The shift rod connector is behind the plastic water intake screens on the side of the lower unit. Remove the screens for access

I just checked behind the water intake screen and there is no shift linkage bolt there. I have also checked inside the lower unit as it pops down a little when you remove the fours from the LU and the nut on top of the LU.

Hmm I still having got around to remove the starter bracket so when I do I will repost

THanks

AlTn

Commander

go back to the water screen removal..what you are looking for is behind it as F_R stated ..use the search feature of the forum and type in 35 hp. evinrude lower unit removal, scroll to a post by ba_50 E20CRC05 lower unit removal...read this thread as your removal steps will be the same....a site I find helpful is marineengine.com...it's easy to navigate and has diagrams of your engine

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You absolutely, positively DO NOT need to remove the starter and carb to pull the lower unit. The disconnect IS inside the water screen on the lower unit (if your motor's year is correct). There are two hexes on the shaft. One is part of the shaft, the other is a hollow hex bolt. They are tightened together. Use TWO 9/16" wrenches, one to hold the shaft, the other to undo the bolt side.