found this on the net

Attachments

• ccback.jpg
    ccback.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: reed valves

I'm currently running Chris Carson reeds in my 1996 Johnson 88 SPL. Great throttle response and smooth idle.

Attachments

• P1000207.jpg
    P1000207.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i spoke to the guy that makes them & he tells me they are made out of graphite & it really does save fuel having heard your side of it . iam gonna buy a set for my 70hp ,thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

They aint graphite,they are resin reinforced fiber......

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Ive got two engines. Ones a 81 vintage johnson 90 that will buzz right up to 5800 with a 19 pitch and hit 51 mph. Great hole shot. Been with it since day one. 1 5/16" carbs, 140 heads etc. 51 mph with a checkmate enticer. Great running engine that I will run for a few months and pull as a complete spare when the new 140 is built.

The other engines a 140 I'm building from a core with squared ports, 1 3/8" carbs , high compression heads, bubble back etc that I want to run up to 6500 ish. I want to push my boat into the 60's

Question is I have a set of Boyesens and a set of CC sport reeds. Which reed would you use in which engine?

The carson reeds.

I'm glad to hear you say that.

I've got Carson reeds on my engine, and it does in fact idle great. I had some questions about which reed to use and talked directly to Chris, he was extremely helpful and forthcoming with knowledge. He's a regular on the screamandfly forum and will respond there to specific questions.

Also, someone on screamandfly did a series of experiments to see if reeds could help out an engine's top end. They found that different reeds had little or no effect at the top end, only reed cage modifications (reducing resistance to airflow) helped the top end.