Johnson fuel line/primer bulb

jgregory01

Seaman
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a 1999 Johnson 50hp 2str..J50PLEEA. I am having a hard time getting the primer bulb to pull fuel through the fuel/water seperator. I have attached a new filter and it has done nothing. I disconnected the filter and straight lined it and it works find, draws fuel and the bulb stays pretty firm.

I removed the primer bulb from the lines and checked the suction. Seemed ok to me. I notice though that when holding the bulb vertical with the white nipple up there was suction, the other way, no suction. My fuel lines from the motor, throught the primer and filter are pretty straight and horizontal. Not much rise...is this the cause? Am I supposed to have some angle on the fuel line? I should be able to prime the fuel and get the bulb hard without the motor running right? Am I supposed to have the motor running for some vaccum effect?

I attached some pictures in the hopes that it helps.

2012-02-09_20-40-42_640.jpg

2012-02-09_20-40-36_812.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson fuel line/primer bulb

On the OMC/BRP primer bulbs you have to hold them vertically with the arrow up to prime correctly. This bulb may be the same way.

jgregory01

Seaman
Re: Johnson fuel line/primer bulb

I got it to work. I had to disconnect the fuel line from the motor and hold it vertical as suggested.thank you.