Johnson/Evinrude 15/9.9 hp tiller/throttle

wineyarders

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '85 Johnson 15 and would like to convert the gear throttle to a cable throttle. I'm primarily doing this because the current throttle gears have several broken teeth making the throttle pretty much shot, and from what I've read the cable throttle is mechanically superior. Looking at the part diagrams it seems like it might be doable(http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=51rj2sll9ku95m2npdsrifa720&catalog_id=0&siteid=1 and http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=51rj2sll9ku95m2npdsrifa720&catalog_id=0&siteid=1). My biggest concern is that the tiller handles are different and I'm not sure the cable throttle tiller would attach properly to the '85 bracket. I can't find any photos of the cable throttle, and in particular, how the cable attaches to the vertical control shaft inside the engine cover and also how the cable throttle handle is mounted to the motor. Anyone have a photo or have the heart to take a few and post them up?

I guess on a side not, anyone have success trying to repair broken teeth on the gear type throttle?

I'll post a few photos to show what I'm talking about. Thanks for any help.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson/Evinrude 15/9.9 hp tiller/throttle

These are a couple pics I had on my computer from my 1987 9.9/15 hp with the cable style. Our motors are virtually identical. I don't have the motor here in my shop to take pics because I put it in storage for the winter. The pics aren't the best because I was doing a 9.9 to 15hp conversion at the time and not really anything specific to the throttle cables. If you post some pics I may be able to help you better? I do know that my 1988 25hp is virtually the same as my 87 15hp and I have that in my shop right now.

DSCN5543.jpgDSCN5544.jpg

wineyarders

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response and photos. I'll definitely post up a few shots this evening.

wineyarders

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a couple shots of what I have. Looking at the parts diagram my biggest question is whether the tillers are interchangeable. Johny25, if you could show some comparative shots with what you have it would be great, or if anyone else has anyone insight I'm all ears. Thanks.IMG_20120209_195408.jpgIMG_20120209_195342.jpgIMG_20120209_195514.jpg

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok from looking at your pics I don't think you can put a cable throttle in. Your lower housing does not have the mold for the throttle cable ball that holds the cable in place and allows it to function. Your lower housing is a different mold made for the "gear" throttle type. If you look at the pic I posted (on the left above) you will see what I am talking about. That slot that holds the cable ball is part of the lower engine housing cover. So without some custom design and ingenuity I don't see it working for ya wineyarder sorry. It may be possible but I think you would be better off sticking with the gear system unless you want to purchase a lower housing cover, and even then it is a lot of work getting that off if I remember correct. I had mine off once and I had to take the whole powerhead off I believe.

dazk14

Ensign

You will not be able to convert that to the cable style...in an economically reasonable way.

However, broken teeth are nearly a maintenance item on that motor. Look through the 9.9/15 gospel as listed by kbait above.

Ebay should have what you need. Are the teeth broken on the tiller or midsection - or both.

Last edited:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

About the only way to really do it is to find a donor motor with a blown engine or lower unit.

The pivot mount/clamp system is different as is the lower "pan" (lower cowling) which has all the attachments for the cable throttle unit. Other than that most everything else will or can be made to interchange.

I hope to do just that on a 79 I have, & IF or when I do, it will be posted opn my "Ramblings".

wineyarders

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been through the links that kbait posted I don't know how many times for how many different reasons. There is some good info there on cleaning up loose tiller handles and some basic repair for damaged gear teeth that I'll need to revisit. Thanks again,

Ryan