1999 50 hp johnson leaking grease at prop

kdbmab3

Recruit
I started noticing a tennis ball size amount of grease type substance on the ground under the propeller. I believe it is a seal behind the prop but I am not certain. The motor ran great this weekend and you can see the grease running down the skeg. Please tell me if I am heading in the right direction or not.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: 1999 50 hp johnson leaking grease at prop

Welcome to iboats!!!

You've just asked the exact same question that nearly everyone who has just purchased their first 2 stroke outboard has asked. :) What you're seeing is unburnt 2-stroke oil, we all put up with it.

(Just to satisfy yourself, if it were gear lube it would have that distinctive smell of hypoid gear oil.)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As was said, stick a finger in it and sniff. If it smells like gas or regular oil, it is fuel residue and normal. If it stinks like sulfer, it is gear oil and the gearcase likely needs some work.

kdbmab3

Recruit

As was said, stick a finger in it and sniff. If it smells like gas or regular oil, it is fuel residue and normal. If it stinks like sulfer, it is gear oil and the gearcase likely needs some work.

Tried to upload a picture but can't figure it out. The grease has virtually no odor to it and it is very thick, not gas and oil residue. This just started recently and I don't know if it could be the seal right behind the prop or the gearcase. I just changed the lower unit gear oil and it looked great. Hopefully I can get this resolved quickly.
Thanks for your help.
Kirk

nwcove

Admiral

pull the prop, wipe down the shaft untill its as clean as you can get it. let it sit and check for any leaks. most times it is just residue from the exhaust.....but it should smell like either gear oil or have a bit of a fuel smell.

..... The grease has virtually no odor to it and it is very thick, not gas and oil residue....

On a 2 stroke outboard there are only 2 possible sources of your "grease", either gear lube or residue from unburnt fuel/oil mix. If it's coming from a bad seal it'll be gear lube and have that unmistakeable smell. 'Unburnt' fuel/oil residue doesn't really have all that much smell, and that's almost certainly what you're seeing. Also, some brands of oil seem to leave more residue than others.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If that motor has been apart recently, it could be residual grease from overhaul. I use grease to stick the needle and roller bearings to their cages. The grease could have dripped down from the swivel bracket, as well.

kdbmab3

Recruit

If that motor has been apart recently, it could be residual grease from overhaul. I use grease to stick the needle and roller bearings to their cages. The grease could have dripped down from the swivel bracket, as well.

I am now certain it is unburnt gas and oil. I wiped it down last night and checked it this morning, the small amount had a gas/oil smell. I also checked the odor of the new gear oil that I just put in and it is certainly not gear oil. Thanks guys.