alarm sounds wont go off

JARED T

Seaman
i have a 1984 Johnson j40elcr i just put a fresh oilgas mixture in cranked it up no water coming out of pee hole shut it off found out the rubber hose was split and off of the fitting i cut the hose reattached it fired it up and water was pouring out like it should .ran awhile and alarm went off on control box.wouldn't go off it never went off before .i left it alone for about an hour and went and cranked it up it ran for like five mins and alarm again water is cold coming out pee hole and motor doesn't seem hot what could be the problem

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: alarm sounds wont go off

I know that some motors have the tell-tale hole BEFORE the thermostat, so that if the thermo is bad, you will still see water through the telltale. I have a 1981 9.9 Johnson, and it is configured this way. Motor may not get very hot to the touch at first. Another issue that you may have is a short somewhere, that is closing the circuit on the alarm. Check the thermostat if it has not been changed BY YOU!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get an infared temp gun from Harbor Freight and check the temp on top of the block just before the cyl head and see if it's actually overheating.

JARED T

Seaman

well i never changed anything but the plugs ,starter and had the carbs done and lower unit oil replaced i should get a t stat plus a new impeller just so i know it ok.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

well i never changed anything but the plugs ,starter and had the carbs done and lower unit oil replaced i should get a t stat plus a new impeller just so i know it ok.
Right and definitely take Boobies advice if the alarm will still not turn off. You can get infrared temp guns for like $20 at radioshack.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The reason to check to see if it's definitely over heating is you could just have a bad temp sender or the tan wire grounded out somewhere.