Tell tale for 76 Johnson 70 hp

knouse94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 76 70 hp 3 cylinder. I have read the link below. I a just a little weary or drill and tapping a hole in the motor. Do I need to worry about pieces of aluminum falling into the water jacket? It looks like there is about a 1/4" of room before hitting the cylinder wall is that correct. It says a 11/32" hole for a 1/8" OMC fitting. I could not find any of those fittings on here and I also could not find the fitting that snaps into the motor for the hose to pee out of. Just want to make sure I get this done right. Thanks, Josh

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Tell tale for 76 Johnson 70 hp

If I were you Id definitely take the headgasket off to grab any pieces of metal from inside the water jacket with a magnet. Set the drill bit so that you cant go any further than the inside of the water jacket. You could even wrap tape on the bit at the appropriate depth to be sure. You wont drill through those cylinder walls unless you are a complete idiot anyways. :p Finding the fittings may be a task, but drill away man, looks simple enough, and definitely more peace of mind when the motor is peeing!

AlTn

Commander
Re: Tell tale for 76 Johnson 70 hp

errrrrrr sut musta had a brain freeze as I'm sure he knows it's cast aluminum in the part of the powerhead you're drilling through