70 HP Johnson tilt and trim or jack plate

So the motor I recently purchased does not have trim/tilt. Since I have never bought one, I am looking for advice.

First off...do you think I need one? I mean, I would think it beneficial for trimming while underway to maximize performance.

Second...towing. It would seem to be easier to lift the motor for launching and towing.

New?

Used?

Best place to purchase?

Recommendations?

Should I forget the tilt/trim altogether and go with a jack plate? Never had one of those!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 70 HP Johnson tilt and trim or jack plate

forget the jack plate for now...it is used for real shallow water boating, and for performance tuning...to eek out that extra 2 mph top end....

unless you motor in real big shallow flats that other wise would not allow you to go more than 5 mph with out the prop digging into the bottom... you dont NEED a jack plate.

Tilt and trim are very usefull.....

especially on a motor as big as a 70 hp...

you are best off to sell the motor you have and invest that money and maybe a little more into an outboard with factory TNT.

COOK Manufactoring Company..( CMC) sells aftermarket TNT units... they are about as much as your motor is probably worth!!

but they work fine.

the jack plate doesnt not have the movement that a TNT unit does... the jack plate only goes straight up or down...

it is probably a head ache to try and install a TNT unit from a similar motor to yours onto your motor which never had TNT..

your aggravation and frustration, have to be worth something...plus the cost of a good working TNT unit...( at least $300-$750)

good luck

bob

Thanks bob. I do A LOT of shallow flats in Everglades back water so maybe a jack plate is a good thing?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks bob. I do A LOT of shallow flats in Everglades back water so maybe a jack plate is a good thing?

then you need BOTH

a jack plate is great, i have one, and it allows me to increase my speed in very shallow water, some as shallow as 8" with out rocking the boat and driving the lower unit down into the mud.....

I cant go very fast with the jack all the way up...( maybe 15 mph max before i get prop washout) but if I had to tilt the motor to clear the bottom, I would have to creep along to keep the boat flat.

and my boat is a 2070 mod V that weighs at least 1400 lbs rigged.

but i couldnt live with out power TNT on a console driven boat!!

good luck

bob