I didn't run the engine dry...is that a bad thing?

Mike in Tac

Seaman
A local mechanic told me that after funning his boat, he prefers to disconnect the fuel hose and then run the engine until it's out of gas. Sounds good to me. However, I took my boat out for the second time ever yesterday (had a blast), and I forgot to do this. So, now my boat is in the driveway and the engine still has fuel in it. I am not planning to go boating again for 3-4 weeks. Is this ok, or should I start it back up and run out the fuel? I have a 1989 25hp Evinrude 2-stroke.

Thanks,
MIT

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: I didn't run the engine dry...is that a bad thing?

If you're going out again in the next 3-4 weeks you should have no prob. Put some fuel stablizer in the fuel incase you forget again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

3 weeks with gas in it isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, there are lots of people on the other side of the arguement that say NOT to run it out of gas. We could fight all day over that issue.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Running it out of fuel is also running it out of oil. Now, now, why would you want to do that. Really, all you need to do, is drain the carb at the end of the year, when you winterize it. Even if the fuel does sour, it'll take over a year to do so. So, fresh new gas in the spring, when boating season starts, you'll be fine till the end of the boating season without running it out. Just make sure you get the fuel out of the carb when you winterize it. The main reason why you would try to run your fuel out, is so when you take your motor off the boat and lay it in the trunk of your car. That would basically keep fuel from leaking out in the trunk and smelling your car up with fumes. But a motor that's attached to the transome of the boat? No worries.

Mike in Tac

Seaman

Thanks for the advice! MIT

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

+1 to the stabilizer comment. The big bottle of Stabil's ethanol treatment goes a long way toward making you feel better about leaving gas in there, whether you believe in ethanol or not.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm on the side of NOT doing that for reasons already stated. However, your mechanic should also know you cannot FULLY run a carburetor out of fuel. Some will remain in there. The unoccupied space is now full of air. It is presence of air, that happens to have moisture in it, that causes fuel system issues. I also suggest continuoed use of fuel system treatments -- especially in boats that get infrequent use.