automatic oil mixer for outboard?

caln

Cadet
Hi can anyone tell me how to mix oil for a 2 stroke motor while having a gas tank that is built in (in deck, not removable, not shakeable?). My motor is a 1990 Evinrude E48ESLESA 48 hp. I would like to mount it on a boat that has a built in gas tank (moeller 13 gal). I have read about VRO systems but cannot figure out if it will work for my motor. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Re: automatic oil mixer for outboard?

Using premix, usually driving to the ramp gets it shook up enough. This is all I used to do. Have you already disconnected the VRO?s

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 48s typically did not have Automatic oil injection (VRO) so all you need to do is note how much gas you have added to the tank and add about 2.5 oz oil per gallon. boat movement will provide enough mixing. If you are in doubt, add a little more oil; it will do no harm.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can always mix it in a separate 5 gallon container, then dump it into the built-in tank.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Estimate the amount of gas you will need to fill up, to the nearest 3 gal. Add 16oz oil for each 6 gal and 8 oz oil for each 3 gal in your estimate. Now fill the tank. Stop when you get to the gallons you estimated. If she will take 3 gal more, add 8 oz oil and fill. That works real well for larger tanks.

With your small thank, a better way is to get two 6.5 gal jerry cans(they are avail), and put 16 oz oil in each and fill them up. Drive home and siphon the fuel into the boat, until it has the amount you want.

caln

Cadet

Sounds easy enough, thanks for the input! I hope the 48 will be strong enough for a 96 spectrum pro angler boat (alum).

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 50 gallon built in tank and premix. I run the boat, stop at the gas station on the way home, fill it until the nozzle kicks off automatically and then when I get home I pour the right amount of oil in matched to the amount of gas I put in. TCW3 oil mixes very easy with the fuel so just the movement of the boat while trailering mixes it very well.

Larry

caln

Cadet

Larry if you have a 50 gal and says it mixes well, then I am assured mine will be fine.