2000 ficht ram no spark no fuel

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice
i recently bought a 2000 225 evinrude. The engine spins over but I am not getting any spark and the electric fuel pump does not come on. I got the manual and i have been reading a bunch in this forum. I understand the emm can be a problem. I can not seem to find a way to check it. I will check the power to and from it but other than that i cant seem to find a test for it. I have the software but i also understand that this will not tell you how to test the emm any help would be apreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 ficht ram no spark no fuel

On that mtr it sounds like a bad EMM.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

i did talk to the people at dfi technologies and they did not seem to think so. I am guessing that if there is power into the emm and no power coming out then that is the problem. all the fuses look good and i have cleaned all the conections. The check gauge lights work as they should. The motor has great compression and is supposed to be low hour. I think it is worth fixing. I will go through it with a voltmeter as per the manual and see.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Also check all the connections on the EMM and the main power relay.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

Also check all the connections on the EMM and the main power relay.
did not know what the main power relay was or what it did. Took a look at the manual and it tells me what it is where it is and how to test. Thanks for the heads up. I will get to it this week end. I will say that when i cleaned all the connectors and contacts on the engine one of the relays was so corroded that it was difficult to remove. Not sure if it was the main power relay or not. this engine has not been loved in some time. Would be nice to get lucky and not spend 900 on a rebuild of the EMM.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where was the relay that was so corroded that you had a hard time removeing it ?? Was it in the pdp ??

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

no it was on top of the engine in a coupler. there are two set up this way. thankfully the pdp showed no signs of corrosion.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

got home before dark and pulled the main power relay. I tested it according to the manual. it show ohms good it showed no continuity and when i put power to it it clicked but still no continuity. It is bad. I am thinking the contacts are as corroded as the spades were. I would like to know how to test the other relays. the manual says to look at the accessories manual and to test the EMM, ignition /stop circuit, electric fuel pump (that does not come on now)and start delay relay are the same as power trim n tilt all the same. I do not have the accessories service manual. thanks again for your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Replace the main power relay first and see what happens.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

just got name and number of the local dealer. will call and order relay tomorrow. did some more reading and it seems that all the other relays on the engine are the same. I know the trim tilt is good and can swap them out with electric pump and start stop. One interesting note about the main relay is that it rattles when you shake it. Would be nice if this is issue. we will see. thanks again for all your help will let you know how it turns out. And your advice about fixing one problem at a time is good advice.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dang it. You beat me to it, as I was going to suggest to swap relays around. Good thinking.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

got the parts ordered. The main power relay does not show up on the parts diagram. Took a little to find part number but i should have it in a few days. I thought about putting a wire in place of the relay to complete the circuit to the EMM but decided to wait. I will let you know how it turns out. thanks again.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

got the parts put on and no difference. I hope to have some time to go through all the circuits and start ruling out problems. I am guessing that if the emm is getting power and none is coming out then the emm is the problem. will let you know if i find the problem thanks again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you had a laptop on this mtr to see if you have any codes ??

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

finally got the laptop and cords but it will not connect with the EMM. I connected to the starboard side of the engine just behind the pdp. there is a connector that has the same color wires. The program finds the com port and tries to connect with no luck. At this point i am about to send the EMM off to DFI and let them have a look. It is an expensive thing if it is not the EMM but I have ruled out just about every thing else.