I have a 1983 johnson outboard and its dripping black liquid from two tiny holes

jameso

Cadet
Hi everyone I am a new boat owner i have recently started my engine and in the bucket i found black liquid smelled kind of like gas then i take a look at it and i see the black liquid dripping out of two tiny holes does anyone have any idea what this would be???2012-02-04_15-51-50_405 (1).jpg2012-02-04_15-51-50_405 (1).jpg

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: I have a 1983 johnson outboard and its dripping black liquid from two tiny holes

Yes, it's unburned gas/oil; nothing to worry about, many 2 strokes have incomplete combustion.

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I have a 1983 johnson outboard and its dripping black liquid from two tiny holes

thats an odd place for unburnt fuel to be coming out

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maby your exhaust tube is leaking/not sealed properly

jameso

Cadet

Z
Yes, it's unburned gas/oil; nothing to worry about, many 2 strokes have incomplete combustion.
Thank you very much greatly appreciate it I thought I may have broken something.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Likely the black, tarry substance is unburned fuel/oil washing down the exhaust tube. What's unusual is for it to exit those drain holes at the front of the gearcase. It's typical for this unburned fuel to exit the gearcase out of the prop. It is possible that the lower rubber exhaust seal is damaged or out of position, letting the unburned fuel migrate over to the top of the shift housing-then out the drain holes. When that simple exhaust seal starts to leak, it can affect the water pump housing. The hot exhaust can leak out of the exhaust housing and onto the nearby plastic water pump housing. Over a period of time, the excess heat can deteriorate that plastic housing and affect pumping of coolant water. Was the water pump impeller changed lately? Sometimes those rubber seals will expand with age and become difficult to reinstall (realign) properly when a water pump changeout is done.

jameso

Cadet

Likely the black, tarry substance is unburned fuel/oil washing down the exhaust tube. What's unusual is for it to exit those drain holes at the front of the gearcase. It's typical for this unburned fuel to exit the gearcase out of the prop. It is possible that the lower rubber exhaust seal is damaged or out of position, letting the unburned fuel migrate over to the top of the shift housing-then out the drain holes. When that simple exhaust seal starts to leak, it can affect the water pump housing. The hot exhaust can leak out of the exhaust housing and onto the nearby plastic water pump housing. Over a period of time, the excess heat can deteriorate that plastic housing and affect pumping of coolant water. Was the water pump impeller changed lately? Sometimes those rubber seals will expand with age and become difficult to reinstall (realign) properly when a water pump changeout is done.
Thank you for l this information I really appreciate , I do not think it has been change by the previous owner. Is this something I should take to a shop to get it fixed? Or is it possible that I may do it by myself. I started the boat without running water because due to the fact there was a kink in the hose for about 5 to ten seconds and shut it off but it started right back up afterwards after I made sure water was getting through it and the water was lumping out fine through the tube. Any information would help thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you are handy, you can change the rubber lower exhaust grommet yourself. 320961 is the original number-probably superceded since then. You'll have to pull the gearcase down/off in order to get access. At the same time you might consider replacing the water pump impleller. That's a fairly simple preventative mainteance job, esp once the lower unit is removed. As a point of reference, you can see an exploded parts diagram on the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com

jameso

Cadet

If you are handy, you can change the rubber lower exhaust grommet yourself. 320961 is the original number-probably superceded since then. You'll have to pull the gearcase down/off in order to get access. At the same time you might consider replacing the water pump impleller. That's a fairly simple preventative mainteance job, esp once the lower unit is removed. As a point of reference, you can see an exploded parts diagram on the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com

thank you so much! you have been very helpful. and if you could just answer one more question for me. where exactly is the rubber lower exhaust grommet located at ive been trying to google it and i cant find it and 320961 is that the part number I have to purchase? thanks again!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

With a manual and some basic mechanical knowledge it is pretty easy to do, you cnaget a manual here or poke around on Ebay to find one and get the OMC factory manual not Clymars, Seloc or anything on cd, they can be spendy but are worth every dime.

You give a year but no HP for your engine.

Also if this engine is new to you change the lower unit oil, you can tell by looking at it if the lower needs to be resealed, the oil should be a nice honey color, darker or black is also okay but cream colored or white is bad and means you are getting water in the lower and it needs to be resealed.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you separate the lower unit gearcase from the midsection, you will see the hexagonal shaped exhaust opening in the gearcase. It mates up to an aluminum exhaust duct in the midsection. The rubber grommet nests between these two parts when the gearcase is installed. When you separate the gearcase, that rubber gromment (o-ring) will either stay attached to the duct or will stay attached to the gearcase. 320961 is still the valid part number. Bombardier dealers sell it for around $12. The purpose of the oring is to seal the mating surfaces of both these parts so that exhaust gas/unburned fuel is directed into the lower unit exhaust passage, then out the prop.

jameso

Cadet

With a manual and some basic mechanical knowledge it is pretty easy to do, you cnaget a manual here or poke around on Ebay to find one and get the OMC factory manual not Clymars, Seloc or anything on cd, they can be spendy but are worth every dime.

You give a year but no HP for your engine.

Also if this engine is new to you change the lower unit oil, you can tell by looking at it if the lower needs to be resealed, the oil should be a nice honey color, darker or black is also okay but cream colored or white is bad and means you are getting water in the lower and it needs to be resealed.

thank you for all the info i appreciate it it is a johnson outboard 1983 115hp it did not come with the manual

jameso

Cadet

thank you so much i will give it a go and try it out hopefully all goes thanks again you were very helpful!!!

jameso

Cadet

When you separate the lower unit gearcase from the midsection, you will see the hexagonal shaped exhaust opening in the gearcase. It mates up to an aluminum exhaust duct in the midsection. The rubber grommet nests between these two parts when the gearcase is installed. When you separate the gearcase, that rubber gromment (o-ring) will either stay attached to the duct or will stay attached to the gearcase. 320961 is still the valid part number. Bombardier dealers sell it for around $12. The purpose of the oring is to seal the mating surfaces of both these parts so that exhaust gas/unburned fuel is directed into the lower unit exhaust passage, then out the prop.

thank you so much i will give it a go and try it out hopefully all goes thanks again you were very helpful!!![/QUOTE]