Johnson 4hp- Spring Problem

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks,

I have a 1985 Johnson 4hp/J4BRHCOB motor. After taking the cover off to inspect the pull cord i found the spring/coil looking like spaghetti. My question is this a simple repair to re-coil the spring or am i screwed??
I can do most basic repairs(LU-oil, impellar replacement) on little motors but i don't have a clue on how to fix this.
Any and all advice is appreciated.DSC00377.JPGDSC00378.JPGDSC00379.JPGDSC00380.JPG

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 4hp- Spring Problem

I had to rewind the spring on my '78 15hp. When it popped out, it was closer to "straight" than the mess you have there. I'd say you have to try and straighten it out then start coiling it back on to the starter. Get someone to help hold it down because it will get away from you. I used a couple of those spring clamps that you get at Lowes (like a big clothes pin). I greased mine as I was coiling it up. Some one else on here may chime in with a better description.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks scott for the info. It looks to be all intact so i will unravel and then recoil spring.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

been there done that

slowly unsupply this spagetti, this spring an be still reused, just try to strighten fro this spageetii mess.

1. find the end of spring, on the end is like hook,

2. hook this end in the notches on this plastic spook

3.hold in one hand this plastic spool and slowly turn (rewind)the spring in second hand

4.rewind this spring pretty tight, untill you rewind all piece of spring, on the end of spring is rounded end, this end must hook on protruding part in the cover

Attachments

• spool2.JPG
    spool2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 0

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Raczekp1 appreciate the step by step description on how to repair this spring. I will fix it next weekend as right now i will watch the rest of the Super Bowl. Do you have the super bowl on tv in Poland??

the machinist

If I recall, the screw in the top of the cowling is what holds that spool in place. You do not want to take it out when you pull the cowling.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Machinist,

I kinda figured that out when i tried to screw in and was not threading. So now i have to correct my screw-up. Do you have any input on how i can repair this?

the machinist

It has been a while since I worked on that model, but just wrap it back on the spool, engage the end into the rope spool & assemble. Then to get rope tension, there should be a couple of notches on the outer rim of the rope spool. Pull the rope up into one of these notches & rotate the rope spool so it tightens the spring. When you figure it has enough tension, let the rope go back into the spool groove. Holding it together, pull out & check to see if the rope retracts enough. If not then pull the rope up & out again thru the notch & wind some more. Bolt the assembly to the top cowling & you should be ready to go.

kbait

Commander

I wore safety glasses on the first few recoil spring rewinds.. :)