1990 Evinrude 100 HP Trim gauge problem, help please .........

JimInAlabama

Cadet
The folks on this forum have been a huge help to me in the past and I'm asking for help again!1990 Evinrude 100 HP (E100STLES). Tilt/trim works fine but trim gauge quit working. When the ignition key was turned on the needle would peg out full down, tilting the motor up/down didn't move the needle. It was getting power and good ground at the gauge.

After I verified good ground at the gauge I started troubleshooting by disconnecting sending unit and checked resistance which was appx 1 ohm up / 100 ohms down, which I think indicates a good sender.

Then tested gauge, power to I, ground to G and the needle went full down, when shorting Send to ground it went to full up, which I think indicates a good gauge.

Then checked for resistance through sender via wires at the gauge and had nothing. Finally discovered an intermittent loose connection in the plug between the sender and the black junction box on the back of motor. I bypassed the plug and had continuity in both wires from the sender to the gauge. Put everything back together and it works but not correctly.

The scale on the trim gauge (as related to a clock face) is full up at 1:00 o'clock, level at 3:00, full down at 5:00. What I'm getting is .... with the motor tilted full down the needle is between 2:00 and 3:00, and it goes up from there when I raise the motor.

I'm pullin' my hair out with this thing, I've gone back over it several times and I'm positive I have everything wired exactly the way it was before it quit working. I don't see any way to adjust the gauge. I feel like I'm missing something that would be an easy find for somebody who actually knows what they're doin'!! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks,
Jim

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 100 HP Trim gauge problem, help please .........

You might try loosening the screws on the sender and reposition it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Follow Boobie's suggestion. You probably disturbed the factory positioning of the sender during your testing. The sender has slots in it so that you can move it slightly to insure you get a correct reading.

JimInAlabama

Cadet

The sender that's on this motor may not be the right one even though it fits perfectly in the space, only one of the ears matches the mounting holes on motor. The holes are slightly elongated which would give you a bit of adjustment but not much.

http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/Jim_Cheyne/?action=view&current=Evinrudesendingunit.jpg

The thing that's odd is that it worked fine before. I dinked around with it this morning and figured out that if the wires coming out of the sender are switched, reversing polarity, the usable range of the reading increases by about 25%. When I move the sender arm manually it goes full range, up to down. So basically, it the arm on the sender was longer, by the right amount, it would work. Does that make sense?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sure -- likely a wrong sender. OMC and others did some dumb things in their day but they did not design parts with two mounting holes but only one lined up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If I remember right OMC did have two slotted screw holes on their senders 'cause I set the gauge position by rotating the sender.

JimInAlabama

Cadet

The only thing I can imagine is that a previous owner had the sender "jerry rigged" with an extension of some sort on the arm to get it to read correctly, I never paid any attention to it before it stopped working. I've ordered what should be the correct new sender, hope I'm not throwin' good money after bad! Thanks for your input .... I'm sure I'll be back for more at some point!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that any outboard trim sender/gauge is made to register the engine's movement in the "trim" range only. It won't read when the engine lifts into the "tilt" range.