How to tell if the battery is charging? Johnson 110 VRO

Abelseaman

Cadet
Ahoy there!

The annual sailor is back...the last time i posted here was about a year ago trying to get my old 110 VRO going again after having stood for about 7 years. I managed to get it going, thanks to the tips from the old salts here, and now I am going to ask for help answering what would probably be a really basic question....so much so feel a little embarrassed.:redface:

The Question: How does one know if the engine is charging the battery? I have put a volt meter across the battery terminals, it's a new battery so it shows about 13V with the engine off. When the engine is on, there does not seem to be any change. My boat does not have an amp meter in it. The tacho works when the engine is running.

Would appreciate some help thanks, as the idea of a flat battery out at sea seems to be haunting me.

Regards,

Haffiman

Commander
Re: How to tell if the battery is charging? Johnson 110 VRO

A fully charged battery should show about 12,5-12,8 Volts. Start the engine, run around 10 minutes at 2000+ rpm, and voltage should climb to a max of about 14,5 Volts. How fast it climbs and how high, depends on rpm and time as well as battery condition.

Abelseaman

Cadet

Hi Haffiman,

Thanks for the tip, will try out letting it run a little longer and see what happens.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Not that you would but DO NOT disconnect the battery with the engine running, it will fry the rectifier.

Abelseaman

Cadet

Thanks for the reminder, i was reading about that in some of the other postings. Unfortunately, I may have disconnecetd the battery a couple of times, even last year when i was trying to get it going.

Next question, how do you tell if your rectifier is fried?

If the tacho is running, does that mean "all is well" with rectifier?

And if rectifier is good, does that mean i should be getting a charge to my battery?

etracer68

Ensign

If your tach is working, you are getting a signal from the REC/REG, thats a good sign. Running the motor@ 2000 rpm, should show 13.5+ at the terminals on the battery. You can disconect the battery when the motor is NOT running, but NEVER, when it is running.

Abelseaman

Cadet

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips.

ran the engine today and did the voltmeter test. Voltmeter started at about 13 Volts and slowly worked its way up to about 14.5V after about 5 mins at 2000 RPM. Happy me!...but engine is now giving off a warning alarm after about 10mins.

ShrimperJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Is the motor overheating possibly? Does it have water coming out the exhaust jets, and if so, is it warm? Might be time to change your water impeller.

Abelseaman

Cadet

Thanks for that..it has water coming out of the pee hole and jets..but i guess it may be localised overheating...I have been meaning to take the head off and have a look see, it think the saltwater and time may have done some nasty things in there.. It's been standing for quite a bit so guess it needs a once over, as the VRO pump is also not functioning and have been running with premix for the last few outings (more than a year ago, yes time also flies when you are not having much fun too)...sigh! .but looks like this will have to wait a bit as have other project which need to be sorted first or the wife will be overheating as well!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A telltale indicates that water is pumping to the powerhead. It does not indicate that the water is circulating and exiting the powerhead. Possible that one or both of the thermostats are stuck shut. If the cooling water can't get out of the block, you will get a hot horn. Pull your thermostat housing apart first and have a look. If new stats don't correct the overheat, then pull the head covers and the heads for a visual. Esp check the water bypass deflectors by each cylinder.

Abelseaman

Cadet

A telltale indicates that water is pumping to the powerhead. It does not indicate that the water is circulating and exiting the powerhead. Possible that one or both of the thermostats are stuck shut. If the cooling water can't get out of the block, you will get a hot horn. Pull your thermostat housing apart first and have a look. If new stats don't correct the overheat, then pull the head covers and the heads for a visual. Esp check the water bypass deflectors by each cylinder.

Thanks for that tip emdsap. i'll have a look at the thermostat first, will search for an exploded view of the engine on the BRP parts page find out where the bugger is located.:)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Changing that thermostat on that model (bubble back) is a pain. A skinned-knuckle task for sure.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I would re iterate about the water deflectors. Little rubber tubes under the heads. they flatten with time and heat and don't do their job. Very cheap to replace. most cost is in gaskets. I had this problem.

Abelseaman

Cadet
Time flies.. my nephew just asked me when was the last time I ran the boat, just realised its been 2 1/2 years an I still haven't gotten around to sorting the overheating problem out....sigh.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
But....sounds like you were just getting up to a potential overheat issue. Think I would get an infrared temp gun this time around -- see what you have (surface temps on the tops of the heads).