Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 (1996) improper acceleration UNLESS!!!

chippy126

Cadet
The above motor can runs great, sometimes. I was just on swannee river and had the boat WOT, crusing about 43knots. I lost power slowly from about 5k rpms to about 4400 rpms and dropped speed as well.
Here is the kicker, I pulled the airbox off and put my hand over each carb to check to see how it was pulling air. Dont ya know, once I put my had over the carb on the right side, middle carb, the damn boat took off again to normal speed and rpm's.... Throughout the day I experinced some very slow hole shots.....

I have that carb and the one below it off the boat tonight and cleaned them. They are plastic!!! news to me. And I could not find the jet in it,I guess its in that metal manifold? , I did see some dirt, just some small amounts in the bottom of the bowl on one of them.

While I have the carbs off, is there anything or any other cleaning I could do before I put them back on? If I unscrew the needle, how to I get it back in the right position? Feels like the main jet is not getting fuel properly on that carb... I dont know what to do about it.
Has anyone had simlar issues? Will the Carb cleaing do the trick?
Fire away... I have some skill with engines, but, have not done much marine engine work..

Things I have done to this point.
1. replaced the plugs, found nothing out of the norm on the old ones.
2. repleced the water filter
3. Bulb stays fairly hard after its pumped up, and the engine does not recover if I pump it back up after it loses power.
4. I ran the fuel tank low just to make sure any bad gas was used up.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies.....

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 (1996) improper acceleration UNLESS!!!

the jets are in the carbs. soak the carb in laquer thinner over night, then use carb cleaner in a can with the red straw to blow out jets, needle valve passage. put a inline fuel filter and change it yearly.

chippy126

Cadet

The carbs are plastic, will soaking them hurt anything? My experience with carbs tells me I should see a needle and a seat somewhere, is that not so on these carbs? Or are they behind that 5 screw plate cover?
I used a can of spray cleaner in all the openings I could find. I would love to know where that main jet/needle is just to know I shot it and cleaned it well before putting them back on.
Thanks for your reply.
:confused:

SparkieBoat

Captain

take the carb apart, do not soak the bowl or float. I have used laquer thinner because it does not seem to hurt the plastic parts, I have also heard that Gunk Parts and Carb cleaner will not hurt plastic parts. Go to any outboard parts site that has a schematic of a carb. just look up your motor and click on the carb page and whala, a schematic .

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you have the bowls off, remove the bowl drain plug and look in. You'll see the high speed jet. Take something like a packing slip wire and run through it. After that spray it with a carb cleaner straw nozzle and blow out with compressed air.

SparkieBoat

Captain

boobie is one awesome outboard mechanic...if i open an outboard shop here in savannah I am gonna hire him...LOL

cyclops2

Banned

That hand over the intake helping for a while has been linked to watery fuel. Not a lot. Just tiny droplets building up.
Hands at high rpms CAN create VERY high vacuums in the carburator. That sucks some water up allowing fuel to flow normally for a while.
I do not empty tanks thru the carburators. Fuel filters & a water trap are great. Or use of Sea Foam will remove water in a tank over time. Several doses of sea foam are needed.

I have found water will travel to the lower carbs first. Eye ball the Y fuel line connections. See if water is going down hill, fits. Get a CLEAN, DRY tank & start with gas station fuel WITH the Sea Foam mixed in the tank.
Sea Foam in first. Then hold the nozzle so the flow constantly causes a circular flow. Done.

Rich

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sparkie, I think I'll just stay in FL, cause it's warmer here. LOL.

SparkieBoat

Captain

maybe I will move there..a lot closer offshore fishing..its like 40 miles out to the gulf stream here..

chippy126

Cadet

Thank you all for your help. I have the Sea Foam in hand and will give the cleaning I did a test run...
Now I need to find a good place to get my seats redone!!! Oh, if you have a special solution to use to clean the aluminuim that makes up the center console (t-top) ,, please share!!!!!!!

Chip!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did it run okay on the test run ?? Or are you still working on it ??

chippy126

Cadet

I have not had a chance to take it out yet.... Will post results...

chippy126

Cadet

The Boat seems to be running better, still struggles a bit cold. I believe it was carbs all along. I have two to clean yet and am going to break down and buy some new gaskents for them. :)

I had it down the cooper river in SC Saturday. Ran much better than the Swannee trip. But still not 100%.

jonesg

Admiral

You need to rebuild carbs with new kits, just cleaning will get you home but the new parts will make it run right.