Tach wire on '89 johnson 200

tnpantera

Recruit
I have '89 bass cat pantera 2 with an '89 johnson 200 gt the motor runs good but tach does not work so i looked @ the back of the tach to see if maybe a wire had come loose or something stupid and found no wires going to tach.....Question is what color is the tach signal wire? btw i have only had the boat about 4 months any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tach wire on '89 johnson 200

I found this example. Hope it helps:

Johnson tach.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The tach wire is gray but it sounds like you're missing the whole wiring harness.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The tach signal wire is gray. There may be a socket on the front of your remote where you can plug in a tach harness. If there is you can get the harness right here on i-Boats.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The tach not working could be two things.

1) wire missing, as you stated.
2) Voltage regulator going. Common thing.

If the voltage regulator is going, make sure you do not leave it for too long. It will lead to burning out the stator. Another common issue with these motors. Then the power packs go.

After you figure out what is going on with your wiring, try jumping the gray wire from the regulartor on the back the motor directly to the tack. This eliminates any wiring issue in the boat. If it still does not work, then replace asap. But before replacing determin if the stator and power pack are going. If you do not the new regulator will get fried again!

Hope it helps.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need the harness that runs to the three termnal connector beneath the key on the control box. +12 volts and ground can be connected to the "I" and ground terminals on any other gauge. The gray wire in the engine harness is the tach sense feed and connects to the "S" terminal on the gauge. Make sure the calibration dial is set to "6P".