what is the model number of my 3hp evinrude

shipfloats

Cadet
Hello,

I have my grandfather's envinrude lightwin 3hp and I would like to know the model number so I can get the parts I need for a rebuild. All I can find is the serial number. It is 3012-96670. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much

lindy46

Captain
Re: what is the model number of my 3hp evinrude

3012 is the model number: 1952-54. I have the same motor and it's a great runner. These little motors remained essentially unchanged until 1968.

shipfloats

Cadet

thank you so much for the quick response....it certainly is a great runner....started to act up a bit at the end of last season, so am going to start with a carb rebuild and go from there. Would you know of reputable source to order my parts from for this engine?

thanks again !!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Try right here on iboats.

Depends really on what you need?

What was it doing when acting up?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

All of the normal tune up stuff is available here at iboats.
If you would replace the ignition parts, rebuild the carb, change the gear oil and put in a new water pump impeller you'd most likely be 100% ready to go for many years for less than 100 bucks.
The factory gas:eek:il ratio for that motor was 16:1. I run my 3's from that era at 20:1 with the modern TC-W3 2-stroke oil, but I would not suggest going leaner than 24:1.

shipfloats

Cadet

I'm thinking it's the carb....if I play with the idle adjustment I could get it running well...near the end of the season only 1 cylinder would work periodically...then the motor became bogged down. I have the motor on a 12ft aluminum that my daughter is using and works so well for her...it was my grandfather's so I really want to keep it running as long as I can.

thanks again !!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If it is dropping 1 cylinder, then look at the ignition system, not the carb. If it has the original ignition coils on it, they are pretty well guaranteed to be cracked.