• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1969 Evinrude big twin 40 hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Evinrude big twin 40 hp

Help ! I recently bought a Evinrude Big Twin which im told is mechanically sound, unfortunately all the ignition equipment had been taken off under the fly wheel. I have purchased 2 new condensers, 2 new coils, and 2 new contact breaker points sets, but i have no idea where to connect the wires only by guessing ,I read that if i messed up and connected them in the wrong place it would damage the coils any idea were i could get a readable wiring diagram from or could someone tell me ,as there are not many wires to connect, but it is so important to connect them in the correct place .Hope someone can help. Fletcherman

Re: 1969 Evinrude big twin 40 hp

Not really hard at all. As you can see in the pic, The wire coming from the top of the coil is the ground and gets connected under the mounting screw. The wire coming from beneath the coil attaches to the points along with the single lead from the condensor. You will also have 2 black leads coming in through the mag plate for the kill circuit, they get connected to the points as well. Simple and easy right? Just make sure that the wires are tucked away so that they do not get cut by the flywheel, The condensor wire is an example, I like to pull it downwards before tightening, as you can see in the pic. Same with the coil ground, keep it in tight to the coil as shown. The front coil, or one on top of the carb feeds the TOP cylinder, and the aft coil feeds the BOTTOM cylinder, important when hooking up the plug leads. Be sure to mark the TOP cylinder plug lead so that you do not confuse it after the flywheel has been reinstalled and torqued. When installing the new plug leads to the coils, twist them in, instead of simply pressing them in. Any more questions let us know.

PS, I hope your new coils did not come looking like these old ones

Chris

Top Secret Files:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Comment

....and dont forget the new wick!

Welcome to iboats.
      Chris

Top Secret Files:

Comment

And looking at the face of the coil, the points and condensors to the right service that coil. I.E. the front coil services the top cylinder and the points and condensor to the right of it connect to the front coil. The same rule applies to the rear coil.
        sigpicVice Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
        1947 Sea King 5hp
        1948 Evinrude Sportsman
        1949 Martin "40"
        1951 Evinrude Fastwin
        1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
        1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
        1955 Johnson JW-11
        1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
        1955 Johnson QD-16
        1955 Johnson RD-17
        1957 Jhnson CD-14
        1957 Evinrude Big Twin
        1958 Evinrude Fisherman
        1958 Johnson FDE-12
        1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
        1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

...another thing that should probably be mentioned is setting the gap, coil gap that is. There are 3 "gaps" pertinent to your motor.

The spark plug gap, which is 030, point gap, 020, and coil air gap, which is either set with a coil ring, or by lining up the laminations with the mounting boss. Having them extend past the boss will cause the flywheel to hit them, too far in will cause weak/no spark.
          Chris

Top Secret Files:

Comment

Hi fletch. Here are some great links that will have that old gem running in no time. I used to have an old "Big Twin" myself. Great motors. Well worth the effort to get and keep running. You can get all the parts you need right here at iboats too. Holler if you get stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/...x/24/index.cfm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repai...%20Tune-up.htm (for a smaller motor, but all the steps are the same for your big girl)

Comment

Hi High Trim,thank you so much for the advice which i find of most value , you have enabled me to complete the work on my old engine . i think the only thing that concerns me now is setting the coil gap but im sure i will get the job done .
              THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN Fletcherman.

Comment

Originally posted by HighTrim View Post
                Not really hard at all. As you can see in the pic, The wire coming from the top of the coil is the ground and gets connected under the mounting screw. The wire coming from beneath the coil attaches to the points along with the single lead from the condensor. You will also have 2 black leads coming in through the mag plate for the kill circuit, they get connected to the points as well. Simple and easy right? Just make sure that the wires are tucked away so that they do not get cut by the flywheel, The condensor wire is an example, I like to pull it downwards before tightening, as you can see in the pic. Same with the coil ground, keep it in tight to the coil as shown. The front coil, or one on top of the carb feeds the TOP cylinder, and the aft coil feeds the BOTTOM cylinder, important when hooking up the plug leads. Be sure to mark the TOP cylinder plug lead so that you do not confuse it after the flywheel has been reinstalled and torqued. When installing the new plug leads to the coils, twist them in, instead of simply pressing them in. Any more questions let us know.

PS, I hope your new coils did not come looking like these old ones

It's guys that take great pictures, and the time to help others like this fella that make this forum by far the BEST forum that I have ever signed up on.
                16' Starcraft Restoration
                http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...on-589808.html

- Pete

Comment

Hopefully the pic above will look like this when its all done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a320cb120d36ba1da60dc6cd4cc5365b.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	81238 (*not my magneto, but this one is textbook)

Comment

Wow, just got an old evinrude lark 40 last week, I was looking for any old posts about this engine because I to was only firing on one cylinder, and hear you guy are still talking about what I am looking for. This post alone has helped me understand where to go first. Thanks Sean

Comment

Oh yea, those 40's are thicker than fleas on a dog's back still. I own three of them. You'll find lots of threads about them.
                      sigpicVice Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
                      1947 Sea King 5hp
                      1948 Evinrude Sportsman
                      1949 Martin "40"
                      1951 Evinrude Fastwin
                      1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
                      1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
                      1955 Johnson JW-11
                      1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
                      1955 Johnson QD-16
                      1955 Johnson RD-17
                      1957 Jhnson CD-14
                      1957 Evinrude Big Twin
                      1958 Evinrude Fisherman
                      1958 Johnson FDE-12
                      1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
                      1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

hi smevil. welcome to iboats. here's a handy link for that old gem. you can get most parts you may need right here at iboats too.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/...x/24/index.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by smevil View Post
                          Wow, just got an old evinrude lark 40 last week, I was looking for any old posts about this engine because I to was only firing on one cylinder, and hear you guy are still talking about what I am looking for. This post alone has helped me understand where to go first. Thanks Sean
                          I do have a question still have not figured out which 40 I have, mine just says LARK but no number designation with it. Will this matter when ordering parts or just the year will work? The guy said it was a 72 but I will put a picture maybe you can identify for me. cant seem to find a data tag in there. SME

Comment

Hello again smevil. Cool, you have an Evinrude "Lark" 40hp. Very popular motor of that era, but I think it may be more like a '62. I'm not sure they still called them "Lark" by '72. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a little tag riveted on there with a model number and serial number. Once we get that we can pin down the exact year, or you can post a pic and one of our resident, eagle-eyed pros will ID it for you. You can still get almost any parts you may need right here at iboats. Look here and online for more info on your OMC "Bid Twin" and you'll find all kinds of good stuff. They're great motors. Not the fastest motors ever made per se, but very torquey, reliable and easy to work on. Oh, and cool lookin', which is the most important thing. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
                              Hello again smevil. Cool, you have an Evinrude "Lark" 40hp. Very popular motor of that era, but I think it may be more like a '62. I'm not sure they still called them "Lark" by '72. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a little tag riveted on there with a model number and serial number. Once we get that we can pin down the exact year, or you can post a pic and one of our resident, eagle-eyed pros will ID it for you. You can still get almost any parts you may need right here at iboats. Look here and online for more info on your OMC "Bid Twin" and you'll find all kinds of good stuff. They're great motors. Not the fastest motors ever made per se, but very torquey, reliable and easy to work on. Oh, and cool lookin', which is the most important thing. Cheers.
                              Thanks I'm on it. And your right it does look cool, am going home from work grabbing a beer and doing some work on her. Can't wait. I got this 74 Holiday Sarcraft with the Evinrude 40 basically for a project, weather getting better the house is asleep, me and the dog are having fun. SME

Comment

Working...
                              X