Owners manual Johnson Seahorse CD-15

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I'm new here on this forum.
I have a question: Does anybody have a owners manual for the Johnson CD-15 (5.5hp, 1958) in pdf?

PS: Excuse me if I made any mistakes with my English, I'm a boy from Holland.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Owners manual Johnson Seahorse CD-15

Hello, JohnRudeMan.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Excellent screen name, sir. :)

Yes, many of us have manuals for the CD-15, but it is against our rules for you to ask us to give or sell them to you.

You can order a reprint of the original manual (recommended) from www.outboardbooks.com. . . .or. . . perhaps someone will send you a Private Message with other suggestions.

PS: Your English is flawless; much better than many lifelong English speakers/writers.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

JohnRudeMan,

Please check your PM(private messages). Top right hand portion of the screen listed under notifications!

Cheers

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a link to a public library that has PDFs for just about anything that you might want to work on (outboards included). It is condensed data, but it will get you started while you're looking for a service manual.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/sear...8926-34469254cfb0@sessionmgr110&vid=1&hid=126

path:
small engine.../marine.../evinrude/>>> 9th from bottom should cover your OB

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello, I have one final question: what is a good price to buy an CD-15 with the orriginal gas tank (the motor doesn't run, but is in good shape)?

Greetings JohnRudeMan :)

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again JohnRudeMan. The prices and condition on vitnage motors can vary greatly here in the States based on where you live. However, for a non-running motor with the tank you could probably get $300 maximum, probably more like $200. If it was running and in good cosmetic condition, you could perhaps get more. I'm not sure how that would correlate to prices in Holland. However, it seems like motors are generally more expensive in Europe versus the States. Based on that assumption, you might expect to pay $300-$400 (just a guess) for the motor you described. Check ebay for restored/functioning motors. You may be able to get one for less than you think. The good news is that these vintage OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) motors are very reliable, easy to fix and parts are still readily available, so if you did get the motor it would be relatively cheap and inexpensive to get running again. Generally speaking, you can rebuild the carburetor, ignition, install a new water pump for less $100. Good luck!

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello kfa4303, thank you very much for your reply :)!
I guess you're right with the price. In the Netherlands these old Johnsons and Evinrudes are very rare. Other types such as Scott atwater, Elgin, West Bend etc. are really hard to find too!
In Holland there are lots of outboards from the '60 and '70, but because there are not many from the '50, I expected they are very expensive. The problem was, I didn't know how expensive they are. But thanks to your reply, I have a good price indication.

Greetings JohnRudeMan

Sorry for my bad English :redface:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That motor is local pickup only, and only 40 minutes to go!

Non running CDs go for 3-400 down there in Florida!? Thats crazy, I should bring some motors down to sell when I go down next week :)

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah it's just a reference. Smalloutboards.com and other sites sell similar motors and I believe they do ship. If you have a good running, half way decent CD with a pressure tank you can get $300. Most motors down here get rode hard and put up wet. They're almost all used in saltwater year round, so even if they run well they tend to be pretty ugly even if they're just a few years old. The sun and saltwater are brutal. There are certainly good deals to be had. I'm trying hard not to buy an early 60's 3 hp for $50 and/or a 60's Evinrude 35 hp for $100 :) (Must resist. Resistance is futile. Must resist. Resistance is futile. LOL.) However, generally speaking you don't see deals quite that good. The hp is a big factor too. 5.5 is kind of small if you want to go out in to the Gulf/Atlantic, so you're more likely to see 9.9 hp and up.

If you want to be real creative, you could make a motor using an air cooled, lawnmower engine and mate it to an OMC lower unit. Check you tube and you'll see all kinds of cool contraptions people have come up with. As a matter of fact, they now make professionally built "mud motors", which are essentially just air cooled 4 stroke motors with gearcases and/or long direct drives on them. They're great for all of the swamps and super skinny water folks like to get into her in Florida, and you don't have to worry about water cooling the engine.

new mud motor.jpglongtail mud motor.jpg

Lawnmower motor.

lawn mower motor.jpg

64osby

Admiral

I talked with someone today that sold a Fastwin 18 early 60's in perfect shape on ebay, sold for $350 to someone in Australia.

The kicker was it cost $850 to ship it to him.:eek:

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all your help!
It is very hard to find an old outboard on Ebay that is cheap enough and can be ship to the Netherlands. 95% of the outboards are local pick up or can ship only to the United States.
There are only a few old outboards left in Holland, and most of them are in very bad shape or they are owned by collectors. The outboards owned by collectors are in good shape, but these motors are very expensive.
Here is a link from an collector in Holland who sells his old outboards: http://watersport.marktplaats.nl/bu...ing-johnson-sea-horse-buitenboordmotoren.html

Greetings JohnRudeMan :)

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a very beautiful outboard! Unfortunately, I can't buy it :D...

kfa4303

Banned

Now don't get me wrong, it's a cute little motor and it looks like they did a good resto job, but he's insane!!! I don't think my truck is worth $1400. It's only 5.5 hp too :/ I suppose there's a sucker born everyday, but I would feel just plain guilty charging that much, but I guess that's why I'm not a business man. Caveat Emptor!!!!

I would have thought that boat motors of all sorts would be readily available in the Netherlands :/ Go figure. Maybe we can find a good running motor for you here and take up collection to help cover the shipping :) There's a nice little, early 60's, white, 3 hp Johnson near me for only $50, which I think is about 2 Euro these days. It's very small, and we could probably disassemble it and fit it into a banana box and ship it over to you for cheap:)

Keep looking Jon RudeMan. Patience is a virtue when it comes to finding these old gems. Just when you think there aren't any around you'll get surprised. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers. If you see someone that you think may have, or know where to find old motors, strike up a conversation. Old guys are the best. They love talking about the old days and usually know people, or know people who know people,that can find these sorts things. I mean people find a way to collect used stamps and after all :) Of course, if you're like me you usually find the great deal the day after you just bought the "not so great deal", but live and learn :)

Good luck! Keep us posted!

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks kfa4303!
A couple of weeks ago I found a beautiful CD-15 in the Netherlands. I do anything I can to buy it :).
I hope I can tell you in a couple of days that I'm the new owner of a great outboard!
I keep you updated :)!

kfa4303

Banned

I love the pictures in your signature. It looks like a dream list of vintage outboards! I'll take one of each please :) Happy hunting!

JohnRudeMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like my own collection :p...
Unfortunately, my collection is a little bit smaller :D.