2000 Johnson 225 will not go on plane.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice
Yesterday I replaced all 6 my carbs with new carb kit from evinrude. I had cleaned them before and they did not seem to be dirty. I took it out to the lake today and my blazer bass boat didnt want to plane off. When i first got there, she seemed as if that helped my problem. Its like when I start to mash the gas full throttle to plane off, it takes off then it just slows back down and not get on plane. I squeeze the primer bulb while my gf drove the boat and it took off on plane "ok". I don't know if the fuel pump is going out b/c when we first got there she planed off fine and she will idle fine. My tach doesn't work so i dont know how many rpms i was running. Once I get on plane, it seems like it wasn't getting enough fuel and I was going about 40 mph at wot. Do you think it is a fuel pump bf I go drop 500 dollars on one. Thanks Wes

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2000 Johnson 225 will not go on plane.

you should test the fuel pump. that would answer your question, disconnect fuel line going from pump to carbs, pump bulb till fuel comes out, turn over the engine, fuel shoot shot out in spurts. you can also use and inline fuel gauge and check pressures going our of pump and vacuum going into pump. these pumps are notorious for going bad. you may can find it cheaper online, search the part #. Also you should figure out why your RPM guage is not working, possible regulator issue there. links you need are in my sig below. you may need to soak your carbs, just replacing gaskets and seals does not clean out cloggs.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

My carbs are clean for sure. I ran carb cleaner and a small wire through all the small ports and holes. Its like it doesn't have constant fuel pressure when I give it gas on plane. I just pulled off the hose and cranked the motor. it does shoot out in spurts.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any leaks in the fuel hose when under pressure? I little fuel leak equals a big air leak. But from what you are telling us I would be guessing a fuel pump issue. Don't know how yours is designed but my fuel pump has a filter on it, if yours does I would check it before going to the fuel pump.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can hook up an inline fuel gauge to test pressure while running. cheap fuel gauge kits available on ebay. but if you can continue to pump the bulb and it runs good, it is either fuel pump of bad fuel line connector or possible clog in tank pickup or blocked vent.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

I feel like it is the fuel pump but I was doing 40 mph and at full throttle. Its like its starving for fuel. The motor will reb in neutral fine but when you put it in gear(under a load) it idles fine. Once you mash the gas, there is a slight hesitation and then she would try to take off like everything is fine and then slowly die back down to idle. I could gun it and it would just try to get on plane but it was like it is bogging down. I checked all my fuel lines and no leaks. A couple times before this problem started, i went to the lake and when I would take off, it would hesitate just for a second then take off and sometimes i would have to pump the hotfoot to get it on plane and up to a fast rpm. Once I trimmed her up she would be wide open and going steady around 60 mph on gps. I would think that a Johnson 225 with a 28inch prop would go faster than that. All my cylinders have over 100 lbs of compression.

SparkieBoat

Captain

when it is bogging, does it pick up when you pump the bulb?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

And what was the compression on each cylinder? Also did you check spark on each cylinder.

In other words do the basics before you start chasing parts.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled the wires when I was in neutral but not in drive. I was getting spark on all cylinders. It did speed up when I started pumping the bulb. Im gonna get me a new one this week. I pulled my fuel filter and it looked like I might have had water in a little. My gas tank has kind of a dip in the top causing water to sit on top of the gas tank. I drained that tank and looked at some of the gas as I was draining it and i didn't see any water. When we first got to the lake, it rain fine then it seemed to do it once it got hot. I will do a spark test with 7/16 gap tomorrow. Im sure I have fire on all cylinders. Are there any type of switches that could cause the motor to not accelerate. I think I might need a new gas cap to because I hear it sucking air after i take a ride. So Im gonna replace both of them to.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aha!! Well, if you've got a vented tank, and the vent is clogged, your FP is having to fight the vacuum building up as you burn gas.

If it's safe to do so, crack your gas filler cap half open (to allow the tank pressure to equalize) and see if the problem goes away. If so, your vent line is kinked, clogged or collapsed. Again, this is all assuming that you have a vented tank.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I guess the fuel pump wasn't the problem. I did a compression test on all my cylinders with the spark plugs out. My compression readings are 105, 105, 105, 100, 100, 95. I went to the lake today and when I got there, my boat seem to crank up fine and idle fine. As I mashed the gas, the boat went but didn't plane off. It was sluggish or staining it seemed like. It felt like it was bogged down and it really didn't seem to have a power band. My tach doesn't work but I would say that the motors rpm was around 1100-1800. I also did a spark test w/ all the spark plugs out and I had fire on every cylinder. What should I do next?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

You didn't mention loosening the gas tank cap slightly; if you are hearing sucking sounds at the tank when you shut down you can bet there is a vacuum the fuel pump is trying to overcome to get fuel to the engine. If you have a fixed tank on the boat then then you must have some type of vent to that tank.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

its like it wil not pick up or go to the next gear. Could I have an ignition problem be an issue

Will Bark

Lieutenant

IMHO until you clear that "sucking" sound at your fuel tank you are not going anywhere towards finding any other cause of poor operation.

SparkieBoat

Captain

does it still help to pump your bulb??? if so, buy a complete new fuel line, bulb and connectors, buy a new portable 6 gallon fuel tank with a new fuel line fitting, also replace all the fuel lines and filters going to the fuel pump.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

I got a new filter, primer bulb, and hose from the primer bulb to the filter. I replaced all the hoses on the fuel rail to the carbs. My motor acts like it doesn't want to accellerate after a certain point when taking off. As I accelerate my motor starts to take off and then stays at a certain low rpm while I have the gas petal floored.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you have to replace all of the fuel fittings not just the hose, when they get old they suck air. also you never cleared up the gas tank sucking air sound you mentioned, loosen your gas cap then see what happens.

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

It had been running find but it seems like its not a fuel problem b/c Im getting plenty fuel. Its like it wont shift to the next gear to get up and go. I replaced the stator 3 months ago. And I tried cracking the gas cap and I still had the same results. I might not be getting enough spark or power to get my rpms up to go faster. Im gonna test my power pack with a 10 ohn resistor and see what happens. It idle fine in gear but once you put a load on it, it will not plane off.

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you certain you have your ignition wires from your pack are going to the right coils? orange/blue-top, orange-center, and orange/green bottom cyl's! had a similar problem after replacing my pack was not paying attention! had the orange blue on center and the orange on top cyl, figured shortest wires went on top !!!!!!wrong, she seemed to run on the trailer, put her in the water, never could get her on a plane, quickly diagnosed my error she took off like a rocket!!!!!!!

Brownmule69

Seaman Apprentice

Like when I try to go on plane, I am at a complete stop and then I start off slow and then mash the hot foot all the way to the floor, then the boat is trying to go on plane but the motor sounds as if its struggling. As though it doesn't have enough power. My wires on my pp are right.