Shift rod boot repair, 1967 Johnson 9.5 309631

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My shift rod boot came out of my 9.5 in several pieces. A call to my local dealer confirmed that the part is no longer available. So I took the sad little shreds that remained and fixed it.
boat 031.jpg
As shown in the first pic, my rubber parts are in several pieces. But I used the metal plate to trace a piece of rubber fiber gasket material from the car parts place, and made the holes for the shift rod and water pickup tube tight enough to be able to work the rubber that remained through them.
boat 034.jpg
I then used Permatex black to glue the gasket material, my old rubber boot, and the metal plate together, after which I screwed the piece into the housing to unsure everything hardened up in the correct form. After drying,the result looks like this:
boat 035.jpg
I posted this because the part is no longer available, and if your part has anything remaining like mine does, it may be salvageable. If yours is more damaged than mine, you may curse your bad luck and shuffle away, talking to yourself under your breath about the unfairness of life. :D
boat 037.jpg

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shift rod boot repair, 1967 Johnson 9.5 309631

Necessity is the Mother of all Invention. For those of us running one of these motors, this sort of posting is great! Thank you for posting

nwcove

Admiral

i walked away from one of those motors, for that exact reason, the non obtainable part that is the weak link. motor was in above average condition.( could have traded an old riflle) looks like you,ve done a nice fix, post back , i would like to know if the repair holds up!!!

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am waiting on parts to arrive to fix other problems this poor little motor has, but yes, I will let you know how it works.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good Job!! I've had to drill holes in hoods on those puppys to get rid of the exhaust gas.