1954 7.5 evinrude starter rope

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice
HI, My starter rope is in need of replacement on my 7.5 Fleetwin 7514. The rope looks original, it has a wire core. 5/32 size nylon braided rope seems a bit thin compared to original. Will I have any problems if I use 3/16 size rope? Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: 1954 7.5 evinrude starter rope

The original has probably expanded. 5/32 should be good but get OEM rope. The rope from the local lawn mower place may not stand up. Also 3/16 may not fit through the holes.

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks James, There is a copper clip on the end of the rope. I'm having a hard time getting some slack in the rope so I can pull it out. Is there anything else holding it up?

James R

Commander

Dont have the drawings for your motor. If it is a spool type starter you pull the handle all the way out and clamp the spool so that the spring does not pull the rope back in. You then have all the slack you need. Needle nose pliers will then pull the copper clip and rope out from the spool. Keep the spool clamped until you have the new rope in place, I use a very small pair of vice grips. Be careful not to break anything.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Throw the vise grips away. Look at that rope pulley. See the little hole, about 1/8" in diameter? Stick a nail or allen wrench or something in that hole and it will prevent the rewind from going back. That hole was put there for a reason.

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all. The original cord was dry-rotted. Sprayed with WD. and let sit all night. Pulled right out.