1985 50hp Evinrude Questions

DJH1

Recruit
I recently got a pretty good deal on a used motor. Its an '85 Evinrude 50hp w/electric start, no power t/t, with a prop. I bought the motor without seeing it in person, but the price was worth the gamble. The motor is set up for remote steering , but didnt come with controls. The guy I bought it from is a contractor who got the motor in payment for some work he did. Said the motor ran perfect last fall, but hasnt been run since. I'm in it about $300 bucks right now, so I figure anything less than a rebuild and I should be in good shape money wise. I'm gonna let a mechanic check it over and if all is ok, have some routine maintenance done and be done with it. But, I've got some questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with.

What is the model # for this motor?

Where can I find a new or used tiller kit for the motor?

Controls seem a little easier to come by and there are a lot of em on ebay. What type of controls does this motor take? I see a lot advertised as "red plug", is this the right kind?

Will the mechanic at least be able to run a compression check on it? Without a tiller or controls I dont have a way to start the motor right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: 1985 50hp Evinrude Questions

What is the model # for this motor?

Is the transom bracket plate gone? There should be a small metal plate on the transom bracket with model and serial number.

Where can I find a new or used tiller kit for the motor?

I didn't think that they made tiller kits for anything larger than 40 HP, but I am probably wrong... Why not set up for regular helm steering? Given the weight of a 50 HP, you may need to significantly extend a tiller setup for weight issues.

Controls seem a little easier to come by and there are a lot of em on ebay. What type of controls does this motor take? I see a lot advertised as "red plug", is this the right kind?

Does the motor have a red plug on it? If it does, then that is the right type, I believe.

Without a tiller or controls I dont have a way to start the motor right now.

You don't need to start the motor to check compression or spark. You should be able to jump the starter solenoid and get the motor spinning fast enough to check compression and spark. You may need a friend or an extra pair of hands, though.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Model # will be on starboard side of transom clamp. Controls from 1979 -1988 will work. It would be easier to trade for tiller,unless you could find another donor motor for cheap.

DJH1

Recruit

Is the transom bracket plate gone? There should be a small metal plate on the transom bracket with model and serial number.

I didn't think that they made tiller kits for anything larger than 40 HP, but I am probably wrong... Why not set up for regular helm steering? Given the weight of a 50 HP, you may need to significantly extend a tiller setup for weight issues.

Does the motor have a red plug on it? If it does, then that is the right type, I believe.

You don't need to start the motor to check compression or spark. You should be able to jump the starter solenoid and get the motor spinning fast enough to check compression and spark. You may need a friend or an extra pair of hands, though.

I really want a tiller motor because its going on a big, open jon boat mainly for duck hunting. However, if I cant find the parts I'll just have to buy a control box and set up a console. Does the control box just plug in? Sorry, absolutely no experience with remote motors.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Just align the arrows and plug in.