1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5 QUESTIONS

patridger

Seaman Apprentice
so i got a few questions. how do i remove the high and slow speed valve packing - 43X123? 2nd, I was shifting the gears with the lower off and it was rough. I shoved it into reverse and it didnt want to go all the way and when id go to spin the prop drive with it in reverse it would kinda catch and slip. So is that bad thing or no.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5 QUESTIONS

There is a detent & spring clip in the unit that keeps it in the various gear positions. It is inside the gearcase, accessible by removing the bottom half of the gearcase. If that clip is bent, loose, etc. it can prevent proper shifting. If shifting by hand, it DOES put a lot of pressure on the shift rod and came make it seem like something is binding. Also, if the clutch dog is not aligned with the gear lugs, the unit may not shift through the full travel when the motor isn't running. Spinning the prop while hand-shifting should fix that...

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info man. im new to this kinda stuff so every question answered means a lot to me.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As for the packing, I usually use something akin to a dentist's pick to dig them out.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah really no good way to pull it out, I use a dentist pick along with a very small slotted screwdriver.