98 115 intruder carb rebuilding

alley mechanic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hellow all, im in the process of rebuilding my 98 115 evenrude intruder carbs, what my concerns are the torquing to the screws that hold the bowl on and other self taping screws used on the plastic nylon carbs. When cars were assembled at the factory the threads were cut by the selftapping screws and the torque was 18-24 inch pounds , but when the carbs are rebuilt in the field since the threads are already ther you can strip them very easily, im worried that if i torque the scrws to 18-24 inch pounds i might strip on of the , so i would like to know from on of the techs how they torque thes srews or any of the self tapping scrws on these plastic carbs thank you alley mechanic

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 115 intruder carb rebuilding

There is a note on that concern in the OEM service manual. I will try to remember to look it up for you. I presume you do not have the manual?

alley mechanic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have the factory manuel, i belive you might be talking about backing the screws backwards a turn and half so screw cans drop into original threads so you dont make new ones, also when i take the screws out of my carbs they are not that tight as the factory manuel says 18 to 24inch pounds.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The big thing to remember is to back the screws out to get in the original the threads. Sorry I've never used a torgue wrench, just went by feel.

JDusza

Ensign

boobie has it right. Be patient and try to engage the original threads. Put the screw in the hole and turn it backwards. You can feel it click when it falls into the original groove. Spin it backwards four or five turns to get the feel for it. You'll find it.

Throw the torque wrench away. Go by feel.
J

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the manual says 18-24 inch pounds on reinstall!!! so you should be good.... those plastic bowls can warp....I bet a little sealant would help a lot!!! might make life harder when you rebuild again at a future date though.

bob

alley mechanic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the information, but i have a couple of quick questions ,my rebuild kit came with stainless steel needle and seat my motor had a rubber tipped needle is this a upgrade also the kit had a nylon washer that goes under the needle seat, my motor did not have any under the needle seat so should i put one in it since it came with the needle and seat kit, or is this a upgrade too thank you alley mechanic.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

if the motor was running ok before, id leave that gasket under the seat out...its not in the exploded diagrams for that motor... and they make kits that will fit several different models.....so it is not uncommon to have left over parts in a carb kit.

are you sure the tip is not just clear plastic????

I bought a rebuild kit last year and rebuilt some intruder carbs...and the kit had silvery looking needle....but I am pretty sure it wasnt all metal...i think the tip was silver or clear.

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Leave the washer out underneath the needle seat. On some real old looper carbs that washer was required but not on yours.