Have 80 model evenrude.

Tom Ran

Recruit
Having trouble dropping lower unit so i can change water pump. have all bolts out (i think). unit drops a little ways but stops. is there a shifting rod to undo? Tom R

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Have 80 model evenrude.

Fist, Welcome to Iboats!
Please post the model number.
If you look under the carbs you will see some shift linkage. The are a few ways this disconnects and your model number will help us tell you how to disconnect it. It really isn't all that hard, once you know where it is...lol.

James R

Commander

There is a shift rod down to the lower unit. It is dog legged at the top and has a hole thru it. It is secured by a screw pin in the shift lever mechanism which runs below the carbs. The screw pin has to be removed to free the shift rod. The drawings show the pin fitted from the starboard side but I have only seen them fitted from the port side. See drawings for your motor on "boats dot net" Gear unit and the crank case. It is a pain in the butt to get to.

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just dropped the GC on my '79 Johnson 85hp. The linkage is at the front of the motor, just below the intake. You'll need a 3/8" socket with a flex adapter and extension (or 2 in my case). Probably don't need to say it, but make sure you put a couple of the GC bolts back in loosely before you remove the shift rod screw.

couple of pics:
shift rod tool.jpgshift rod.jpg