1977 Johnson 25hp battery charging system install on manual start

Padling

Recruit
Hi all. I just find iboats forum. Every post is interesting. Few post talking about charging system, it seems can attache on

charging system on the manual start motor.

If it is possible, any one can tell me how to set up charger on 1977 Johnson 25hp manual start motor?

I check the magnetto connection, there are 4 cables(two brown cables, white and black). The used rectifier in the ebay has

three yellowlines and one red. Even dont know which colour to wher connect. Anyway, Can I use this rectifier? I am so

confuse. can anyone point me in the right direction?

If I need replace magneto, is it any problem from manual one to e-start model magnetto?

Thank you guys.

* I was wrote on poll thread yesterday. So I move here to find answer.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Johnson 25hp battery charging system install on manual start

you have to replace the stator plate under the flywheel with a charge ring type, the rectifier is just a regulator, you must have a flywheel with teeth for the starter and the starter bracket, it can be done if you have all the parts, sometimes I have seen kits on ebay to do this conversion, good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson 25hp battery charging system install on manual start

paddling, those brown, black, and white cables go to the ignition power pack, right? You CANNOT use them to charge a battery. However, there is a battery charging accessory kit if you want it bad enough (expensive). It consists of a different stator and a rectifier and hookups. See the parts by going to http://shop.evinrude.com/ click on electronic parts catalog, then select OB Accessories from the drop-down list where it defaults to Evinrude, then select the year and follow the prompts.

SOME motors (mostly European) already have the stator as a lighting coil and all they need is a rectifier. But if you already have it, you would have the three yellow wires coming out. Sounds like you don't have it.