Prop shaft profile

sslavko

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 1972/65hp Johnson motor with hydro-electric shifting. Recently gearcase broke and I got replacement for it, but not from exactely the same motor, I don't know from which one. Everything fits perfectly, appart of prop thrust washer. All part books show that prop shaft is the same on all motors of these years, but this one is different. And the fact that gearcase is hydro-electric limits number of options to only early seventies. The old prop shaft has different profile at the point where thrust washer is fitting, it is conincal and thrust washer matches that, while the new prop shaft has a straight step profile.
I took photos of both, because it is hard to explain difference. The red gearcase is the broken one, the blue is the new. Propeler also fits, no problems, I just can't find thrust washer for it.
Can I use some ordinary washers with proper size instead?

Thank you
WP_000079.jpg WP_000077.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop shaft profile

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up a 1968 55 hp mtr. Look up the g/c and check out the thrust washer area. You'll see the difference. Says parts are still available.

sslavko

Cadet

Ah that looks like it, thank you so much. I didn't know that they built hydro-electric units before 1972.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

1972 was the last of them. They went to a hydro-mechanical in 1973. You probably have a g/c built from 1968-1971.