1979 Evinrude 140 Tilt/Trim Fluid Color

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did trim tube orings due to a leaky wiper. This is color of the fluid. I thought it would be a more red. It has a milky look to it.

Is this a normal color?

IMG_0129.JPGIMG_0130.JPG

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Evinrude 140 Tilt/Trim Fluid Color

Milky appearance indicates water intrusion into the fluid (probably due to your leaky o-rings). The red color means someone used ATF instead of trim fluid. Trim fluid is actually almost clear with a slight yellowish tinge to it (almost the color of cooking oil). A lot of people use ATF instead (especially with leaky systems), because it is a lot cheaper than the "proper" trim/tilt fluid. I will leave that debate alone...

When you replace your seals, and fluid, all should be well.

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. So, do I have to get the old out and replace with new. If so what is the easiest way to do this?

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone?

Replace the fluid? If so do I have to completely disassemble?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely change it, water in the fluid can only lead to corrosion problems down the road, as for how, sorry, I have to have someone else chime in... never actually did a complete fluid change on one, and don't want to give you bad advice!

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it. I'm affraid its a disassembly to drain completely. The Evinrude service manual doesnt go into detail getting the unit off the motor mount. Can I remove the TNT without removing engine?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can partially drain the system by disconnecting the oil line between the pump and the tilt tube. Cycling the unit up and down may pump quite a bit of the oil out into a pan, below. Refill the pump reservoir and rebleed. Continue filling/bleeding till you don't see anymore milky red oil. Eventually you will find that you will have pumped all of the contaminated oil out and a final refill (and reconnect the oil line) should complete your oil change.