Water Pump repair kit 1979 Evinrude 85 HP

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a new to me 1979 Evinrude 85 and after succesfully rigging the motor and running on the lake, I discovered that in idle at neutral, I sometimes get the overheat tone on the alarm buzzer. I bought and attempted to replace the water pump impeller, wear plate and the housing.

I notice there's slight differences between the original and the aftermarket (Sierra) housing.

My concern is the mechanical seal at the top of the housing. Is this not required anymore? It was not included and there's no spot for it anyway. Check out the pictures:

Original housing:

ac83e6bc.jpg

Replacement Sierra aftermarket housing:

53e879ad.jpg

Another picture showing restriction caused by burned plastic:

7a63e3a8.jpg

Thanks,

Tracey

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Water Pump repair kit 1979 Evinrude 85 HP

There is a seal of sorts required there.....grommet would be a better way to describe it though.....provided you bought the kit it should be included.....did you buy housing only?

Lugh

Recruit
Re: Water Pump repair kit 1979 Evinrude 85 HP

I bought a new to me 1979 Evinrude 85 and after succesfully rigging the motor and running on the lake, I discovered that in idle at neutral, I sometimes get the overheat tone on the alarm buzzer. I bought and attempted to replace the water pump impeller, wear plate and the housing.

I notice there's slight differences between the original and the aftermarket (Sierra) housing.

My concern is the mechanical seal at the top of the housing. Is this not required anymore? It was not included and there's no spot for it anyway. Check out the pictures:

Original housing:

ac83e6bc.jpg

Replacement Sierra aftermarket housing:

53e879ad.jpg

Another picture showing restriction caused by burned plastic:

7a63e3a8.jpg

Thanks,

Tracey

I know this is an old post but I just encountered the same problem. There is a grommet on the outside yes (not shown), but as Tracey pointed out, the seal that goes tightly around the shaft on the inside (see top picture) is not provided. I cannot even install the old seal because it would not fit into the housing (look at the images). Soooo, is there anyone who can answer this question? Is the seal not longer needed? Thanks, Lugh