1978 Evinrude 55 Gear Issues

hotsnarby

Recruit
Hi, I am stuck in reverse. Heard a clunk - may have been after I slammed it into farward while still moving backward :facepalm:, but clunk may have actually happened before or after that - and now I come to think of it there were a few clunks over the weekend...:( Got into forward, ran ok, then after I put it into reverse later it stayed in reverse. Was pretty dangerous because I actually shut off the engine at one point, when I re-started it I was still reverse and I ended up nearly running over daughters boyfriend :D, then hitting another boat :eek: when I gassed it to go farward but it was actually stuck in reverse!

I have removed the gearcase and no matter what I do with the long shift rod it stays in reverse.

I suspect something in the gears and /or internal shifter mechanism is now custard, but I am not sure how to get all that gear (no pun intended) out :confused:.

Advice / guidance please.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 Evinrude 55 Gear Issues

The very first thing you're going to need is the Repair Manual for that particular motor. It sounds like the clutch dog is bad and the manual will walk you through the repair process. You can get the Manual at www.outboardbooks.com. The cost of the Manual will be worth it as it covers all aspects of your motor.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you broke the tip off the shift spool , I have replaced several over the years for customers doing what you posted.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As Oldcat said, get an OEM factory service manual and the dig into it. You defineatly got a prob in the g/c.