would a johnson 1978 200 hp tilt trim setup work on a 1976 johnson 200 hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully9

Cadet
would a 1978 johnson 200 hp tilt trim set up work on a 1976 johnson 200 hp motor? or would the parts be the same?

AlTn

Commander
Re: would a johnson 1978 200 hp tilt trim setup work on a 1976 johnson 200 hp motor

you can compare parts nos. at marineengine.com

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: would a johnson 1978 200 hp tilt trim setup work on a 1976 johnson 200 hp motor

Yes, the trim units are the same from 1976 up through part of 1981. Keep in mind that there is a separate electrical box which is part of this system and is not engine mounted.

sully9

Cadet

thanks for the post emdsapmgr i just found a 1978 setup that doesnt have the electrical box with it. on my 76 johnson 200 I jumped the solenoid and both the up and down ran on the motor but still didnt raise it. I think its more of a electrical problem but not sure. any thoughts or help would be great thank you!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is working in both the up and down, perhaps you the system is just low on hydraulic oil. I'd release the emergency bleed valve so that you can raise the motor by hand. Then lock it in place once it is up. Then check the fluid level in the reservoir.

sully9

Cadet

emdsapmgr thanks again for the reply, I can raise it up and down by hand right now. (does that mean I dont have enough fluid in it or something isnt tight enough??) whats your thoughts. thank you

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is possible you are low on fluid, esp if you have any hydraulic leaks in the system. It just won't work correctly if it is low on oil. Pull the fill screw off the reservoir when the unit is up and see what the oil level is inside.

Last edited:

sully9

Cadet

hello emdsapmgr I finally got to work again on my boat (its about 80 miles from my house at my cousins shop) but now I have a question and hopefully you can help me out. with the tilt and trim I checked the fluid level and it was good. at first it was only working in the down cycle and didnt have anything when I would put the power wire to the up wire. I put the wires in the control panel box in the correct places as what my manual book shows. now the up works but the down doesnt. does the solenoid need to be a two stage or something like that? is there such a thing?? any help would be great!
thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you need to double check the complete wiring in that trim system. You may want to get a factory electrical diagram-they are in the back of the service manual. The factory electrical diagram shows the power to the "down" wires on the trim motor are routed through the switch on the control box handle. That switch can handle the low current for the down movement. The "up" movement is completely different-it takes lots of current to move the trim (up) especially when the engine is under power. That "up" movement wiring shows the trim switch in the control box handle is first wired direct to a large solenoid (like a starter solenoid)- then the wire from that solenoid sends high current to the "up" wires of the motor. That's the only way you can keep from buring out the control box trim switch on the "up" side of the switch. As I mentioned earlier, this trim system requires a separate trim control box which houses that solenoid and a separate trim system fuse. It's mounted under the back deck of the boat and is hard wired direct to the battery. You can get an original factory manual from Outboardbooks.com.

sully9

Cadet

thanks for the help emdsapmgr! I have a service manual that has the factory electrical diagram in it and diagrams to everything which is great thats how I found out the wires were in the wrong place on the 7 hole control bar thing. in my manual it shows the down wire goes from the switch to the trim solenoid and the up wire on the switch wire goes to the E3 post on the control bar in the little box in the back of boat, then goes from E3 to the trim motor. I believe the up cycle is wired correctly now and the down cycle from the switch also but my question was with the solenoid since the down wire only goes to the solenoid do they make a special kind of solenoid for boat solenoids? I switched the solenoid out thinking it was bad but I got one from the auto parts store. how does the control panel bar (sorry I dont know the correct name of it) work? does the power wire that goes in E1 send power to the entire bar??

thank you!

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Until emdsapmgr gets back to you, let me jump in and say that you should stop operating the PTT while you have it connected as you do right now. You have your "up" (blue/white + blue) wires direct connected at the terminal strip. The trim motor draws up to 44 amps going up. If you keep running that high amperage through your trim switch, you're going to melt the plastic casing on it. Those little jewels are $100+.

Remember: green grass = down; blue sky = up... Your green wires run the trim motor down, your blue wires run it up.
-Your green/white from switch direct connects to green from trim motor at the terminal strip
-Your blue/white from switch connects to one of the small terminals on the solenoid
-Your blue from trim motor connects to one of the large terminals on the solenoid
-Your battery connects to the other large terminal on the solenoid
-You mentioned an automotive solenoid, if it's a grounded base type, connect ground wire from battery and ground wire from motor to the base of the solenoid. If it's not a grounded base, connect them to the small ground terminal on the solenoid.

couple of diagrams/pics...

Trim switch basics (current draws based on Prestolite motor)
Trim switch wires.jpg

How to wire Ford solenoid to replace PTT solenoid
ford solenoid 2ss4.jpg

caveat: The '78 PTT originally came with a 3 wire motor (blue,green & black). If over the years, that motor failed, and someone replaced it with a 2 wire motor (blue & green), disregard everything above.
You'll have to go to a double relay wiring system.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Will62, it sounds like you have the down wired through the solenoid. Should the the up wire. The "up" solenoid you need is a 581528, about $25 from any BRP/Evinrude dealer.

sully9

Cadet

I went and worked on my boat this weekend and found out that when I jump power from the big lug on the solenoid (+ lug) thats hooked to the battery to each of the spots that run to the tilt trim motor on the terminal strip it will run up and down no problems. I think the solenoid is bad so I just ordered one. but maybe something else so any other suggestions to check out this weekend I would appreciate.
thanks

Gpatom123

Recruit
I have a 1976 prestolite trim motor with red. Blue. And Black wires coming from the pump motor. Prevoius owner attached a solenoid to it and an extension for a switch with red, green and blue and an extra black wire that runs to a 2nd piston on starbord side of trim set up.
Any guess what this would accomplish?
I would like to convert to something more simple . Ive tried jumping the red and green wires to the pump but nothing happens.

Thanks for any assistance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Red is power from battery to the switch.-----Blue is for up.----Green is for down.-----Start a new thread and post pictures of what you have.-----Model # of your motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.