1972 Johnson 50hp 50ESL72C Questions

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well the motor seems to run and shift fine on the muffs however I noticed a few items I wanted to post about and see what you all thought.

First, I noticed while the motor was running, there was bunch of water running from under this cover on both sides of the motor:

IMAG0355Custom.jpg

Next I noticed a little bit of water at the base of the motor and the drive shaft case:

IMAG0363Custom.jpg

IMAG0365Custom.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

fstorm08

Re: 1972 Johnson 50hp 50ESL72C Questions

Here is a small snip of video.

fstorm08

One more video snip.

jbjennings

Captain

I believe the water leak at the base of the motor is due to a bad powerhead base gasket. It should be replaced.
If I recall correctly, the motor puts all of the water through the prop hub when on the muffs. You won't see any water spitting out the exhaust reliefs on muffs like it will when on the lake. I installed a tattle-tale on mine which was very easy if you follow the instructions in the "frequently asked questions" thread.
I just don't remember any water exiting at the mounts for the midsection like yours shows. I'll crank mine on the muffs tomorrow if I get a chance and see what it does.
If you decide to replace the water pump impeller, be VERY careful you don't damage the shift wires.
Good luck,
JBJ

fstorm08

Thanks for the info JBJ. Let me know if you have any water coming out of the mount area on yours.

Thanks again,
Ryan

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check your water pump. Water is supposed to come out near the mount. It is water that is escaping from the pump where the drive shaft goes through. But you have way too much coming out. So much that it is filling up to the top and coming out the vent hole. So check the pump housing and impeller for some reason for excesive leaking out the drive shaft hole. Perhaps the seal is missing from the top of the housing.

Um, excessive water pressure from muffs????

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I believe the water leak at the base of the motor is due to a bad powerhead base gasket. It should be replaced.
If I recall correctly, the motor puts all of the water through the prop hub when on the muffs. You won't see any water spitting out the exhaust reliefs on muffs like it will when on the lake. I installed a tattle-tale on mine which was very easy if you follow the instructions in the "frequently asked questions" thread.
I just don't remember any water exiting at the mounts for the midsection like yours shows. I'll crank mine on the muffs tomorrow if I get a chance and see what it does.
If you decide to replace the water pump impeller, be VERY careful you don't damage the shift wires.
Good luck,
JBJ

Nope. Water should come out of the vertical slits above the cavitation plate, as soon as the T-stat opens. A bit of mist may come out the relief holes in the back of the midsection, as well.

fstorm08

Check your water pump. Water is supposed to come out near the mount. It is water that is escaping from the pump where the drive shaft goes through. But you have way too much coming out. So much that it is filling up to the top and coming out the vent hole. So check the pump housing and impeller for some reason for excesive leaking out the drive shaft hole. Perhaps the seal is missing from the top of the housing.

Um, excessive water pressure from muffs????

I picked up a large plastic bin that I think will work for getting the lower unit submerged in water.
(up to the blue line)

IMAG0355Custom2.jpg

I'll try that at some point soon when the temps are above freezing and see what it looks like. That should tell me if it was too much water pressure from the muffs or not.

Thank you all

fstorm08

Nope. Water should come out of the vertical slits above the cavitation plate, as soon as the T-stat opens. A bit of mist may come out the relief holes in the back of the midsection, as well.

Thanks JM :)

fstorm08

Got the tell-tale pretty much completed. Just need to wait for the paint to dry before I can attach it. :)

IMG_5745Custom.jpg

IMG_5747Custom.jpg

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a screen on the lower unit where the water inlet is? :confused:

IMG_5749Custom.jpg

If so, does anyone have a link to a part number? I have not come up with a definitive part number or info that there is or is not supposed to be a screen there?

I have never see water inlets open like this.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

fstorm08

Also got the paint and Zinc Chromate the other day :) :)

IMG_5726Custom.jpg

IMG_5727Custom.jpg

fstorm08

Here's the tell-tail finish product:

IMAG0477Custom.jpg

Here's my little dunk tub to run the motor:

IMG_5743Custom.jpg

IMG_5741Custom.jpg

IMG_5744Custom.jpg

:)

fstorm08

Got the tell-tale pretty much completed. Just need to wait for the paint to dry before I can attach it. :)

IMG_5745Custom.jpg

IMG_5747Custom.jpg

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a screen on the lower unit where the water inlet is? :confused:

IMG_5749Custom.jpg

If so, does anyone have a link to a part number? I have not come up with a definitive part number or info that there is or is not supposed to be a screen there?

I have never see water inlets open like this.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I answered my own q. From the looks of it, the screen is inside the lower unit:

Item #48:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1972&hp=50&model=50ESL72C&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase+Electric+Start

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0314175&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

I will confirm once I pull the lower unit off.

fstorm08

Well after running the motor in the tub for about 30 seconds, the water from the tell-tale stopped coming out so I am going to pull the lower unit and check the water pump and make sure all is ok in there.

fstorm08

I pulled the lower unit last night. It seemed very wet inside:

IMG_5836Custom.jpg

I'm thinking it may be due to the exhaust exhaust seal and thinking that there should be some sort of seal between the water pump and water tube:

IMG_5842Custom.jpg

Anyone have an thoughts on this?
The green wire is my pull wire to route the shift wires back up through during reassembly :)

IMG_5840Custom.jpg

The last person to change the impeller busted a bolt in there and just threw it back together: That could be another reason why it was so wet in there.

IMG_5848Custom.jpg

I pulled out the impeller and will change that:

IMG_5851Custom.jpg

Does anyone know if these motors came stock without a cup inside the water pump housing?

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fstorm: Hey man, I have the same motor and went through the same thing last season changing the impeller. Believe it or not, I also broke one of those bolts on the water pump too, my bolt actually broke off screwed into the hole. So I have one less bolt for the water pump. I tightened the remaining ones down and then sealed it of with the blue gasket seal stuff. I don't have a tell tale but the water comes out the exhaust ports like it is supposed to do.
No cup, mine looks just like yours.
I don't remember a seal being between the pump and water tube, but I will check my manual and get back to you on that.
Not sure about the exhaust seal, mine probably needed to be changed but I decided to put it off till next season.
I had a lot of unburnt oil/gas mixture coating everything inside mine but that was before I rebuilt carbs and put in new plugs and fuel lines.