1st POST!!! Johnson 110Hp 87 model - Correct Output Voltage

Aussie Brian

Cadet
HELLOOOO iboats all the way from Australia ! :D

First post.. been reading quietly in the background for a long time until now.

Recently purchased a Hanes Hunter V17R with a 110 Hp Johnson on the busines end of the boat.. have upgraded quite a lot of the wiring, major service of motor, new filters all round, fitted new disc brake assemblies, bearings bla bla bla on the trailer... but most importantly I have recently installed a dual battery set-up, 4 pole isolation switch to ensure no problems in cranking the old girl over when she has a menopausal attack and becomes stubborn to start on a cold morning.

My question is, on idle and once motor is warmed up, I am getting about 12.6 to just under 13 Volts to either and / or both of the batteries.. All the post's I have read indicate that this is a normal voltage range for the motor to output?

Is this Ok????

Batteries have never failed so far even on long runs and extended periods of time sitting at home not being turned over.. I own top quality digital volt meters too by the way.

My guess is that everything is operating as it should, though it would be very comforting to know from such talented and wise folk on iboats that all is Ok...

By the way.. it must suck to have to "winterize" your boats, is it expensive???
Here in Australia you can fish all year round & not have to worry about carrying out such measures... Ok I'll go know with my nice weather and all that... don't want to upset anyone on my first post..

Kind Regards,
Brian

"Will power can overcome anything.... except Constipation"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1st POST!!! Johnson 110Hp 87 model - Correct Output Voltage

G'day, Brian.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds normal, and okay, to me.

Good luck. :)

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your readings seem fine also Winterizing outboards is quite simple it involves draining the water from your outboard and fogging (coating the cylinder walls in a light film of oil stern drives are more difficult to drain as this involves removing various plugs and draincocks fairly strait forward still though and adding fuel stabilizer to the gas but the real hard part is not being able to go out boating

Aussie Brian

Cadet

Thanks' JB and Shane7 ! :)

Very much appreciated !

I thought that the voltage readings would be Ok, just thought i could a 2nd opinion...

Once again, Thanks' a bunch...

"Keep those lines tight!"

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First, Welcome to Iboats!!

I have the same motor, except mine is the Evinrude variety. Those are the same readings as mine.
You may want to consider installing an Amp meter as well. There is a whole bunch of conflicting opinions here about which is more important, volts or amps. I just installed both. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats about correct as that engine has a 9 amp charging system, so at idle you would only be charging around 1 to 2 amps.......

Aussie Brian

Cadet
06/01/2012 - 1st POST!!! Johnson 110Hp 87 model - Correct Output Voltage

06/01/2012 - 1st POST!!! Johnson 110Hp 87 model - Correct Output Voltage

Thank You very much again JB, Shane7, itsaboattime and Faztbullet !
for all your advice, expertise and very much helpful knowledge in regard to my questions !!! :)

Took the old girl for a well overdue run + fishing session of course (Sunday 8th Jan. 2012) , I couldn't help but bring the rod's along.
Motor is running well, amp's / voltage are showing all normal readings.

"Thank the lord for iboats" !!!

Mac3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gday from Tassie Aussie Brian, I've been a member here for a few years and consider myself a Ficht certified tech from all the info I've got from this site. I am continually in awe of the helpful advice available, something the local boat shops don't like giving out. Even down here we boat all year, I hope the winterize question was just academic
cheers
David

Aussie Brian

Cadet

10th Jan. 2012

G'day David !

Yeah, the winterizing question was purely for my own information, as we Aussie's do not ever need to carry out such a service on our motors & boats...

How's the fishing coming along in Tassie??? The warmer weather should come around soon and those monster King-fish
should hopefully come on the bite !

Kind Regards,
Brian

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have the same set up on my 85 90 hp you are all good