1990-Evinrude 100 HP (E100STLES) Troubleshooting advice please .........

JimInAlabama

Cadet
Hello and Happy New Year folks,

I need some advice on my 1990 Evinrude 100 HP Cross Flow from you experienced OMC guys. A little history, it had issues when I got it last spring, had carbs rebuilt and fuel pump replaced last April by marine mechanic. Been running ok until now, it hasn't been started in about a month and now it won't crank ..... it won't spit, sputter, hiccup, fart or even try to fire. Good battery with full charge, spins the motor plenty fast. Checked the plugs first and they're fine, it is getting what looks to me like healthy spark at plugs. Fuel is fresh and always treated with StarTron, and it's getting fuel through the inline filter, or at least when I pump the primer bulb there's a good flow through the filter. I pumped a quart of gas out through the supply line and it looks fine, no water. Compression was good when I bought it, shouldn't be a compression issue. So ...... fuel is not getting to the cylinders.

On an older car engine I would suspect a stuck float, but I think this engine has two, can't imagine 'em both sticking. Before I take it to the shop and spend money I really don't have, do you guys have any suggestions a shade tree guy can try??

Many thanks,
Jim

Snoopy Joe

Cadet
Re: 1990-Evinrude 100 HP (E100STLES) Troubleshooting advice please .........

How do you know its not getting fuel to the cylinders ? Are you using the choke ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990-Evinrude 100 HP (E100STLES) Troubleshooting advice please .........

Are the spark plugs wet or dry after trying to start? If the cold-start fuel primer is not working, that engine is a bear to get started when cold. Pump up the fuel hose bulb, remove the fuel primer hose from the top of the top carb, turn the key to on, and push in on the key. The solenoid should pulse fuel thru that primer hose.