Remote Control repair - Johnson 1987

neptune1961

Cadet
Hi There

Merry Xmas and I am hoping some one can assist me with my problem - I need to replace the trim switch in my remote control and and am having trouble stripping the remote control lever to do this

1. Whilst I have 3 manuals covering my engine - there is very little info on stripping the remote control unit that i have - The schematic from BRP is good but does not show a step by step dismantling procedure and I am afraid some springs may jump out at me or i lose the sync on the cables etc

2. I have two wires from my VRO oil tank and would love to know where these should be connected to. Again very little info in any manual on this other than to say these are the low oil warning cables. My guess is that they go into the engine and connect to the audible alarm 'tan' cable and earth on the motor, but again am not 100% sure and would appreciate confirmation

MAny thanks to all that can assist

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Remote Control repair - Johnson 1987

Merry Xmas Neptune,

Newbie here, but until one of the experts answer you, I can tell you what I found on a recent rebuild of a 1979 Johnson remote. Your 1987 remote
may be different, but hopefully this will help you.

You should be able to remove the lever without opening the remote case. On the back, in the center, there is an Allen head screw holding the lever on. Loosen the screw 3 complete turns. Support the remote with blocks so that the lever has space to be driven off. Put a punch in the center of the Allen head, and tap with a hammer until the lever splines disengage. Then remove the Allen head completely and the lever will come off. You can then disassemble the lever to access the trim switch. I did not replace the trim switch, but I did open it up and clean all contact points.

If you decide to open the remote case, the only spring that you need to be concerned with is the detent spring located below the neutral start switch. It is a very strong spring, so be careful there.

First post here, so I'm not sure if my links to photos will be permitted, but i have added some below just in case. Good luck on the completion of your project.

Case opened
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/will621/Remote rebuild/detentspring.jpg

Old lever parts
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/will621/Remote rebuild/trimswitch.jpg

New lever parts
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/will621/Remote rebuild/remoteparts.jpg

Reassembled with screw locations
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/will621/Remote rebuild/remoteassembled.jpg

neptune1961

Cadet

Will

Many thanks fo rth einformation _ i had followed something similar to this but was really tight - I have been out followed your instructions and it is off all in one piece

Found the section holding the trim switch in place had broken - possibly an overtightened screw - but at least I will be able to repair it now - You have the exact control as mine

Many thanks

neptune1961

Cadet

Have resolved question one of original post thanks to Will62, however would still appreciate help on the following

2. I have two wires from my VRO oil tank and would love to know where these should be connected to. Again very little info in any manual on this other than to say these are the low oil warning cables. My guess is that they go into the engine and connect to the audible alarm 'tan' cable and earth on the motor, but again am not 100% sure and would appreciate confirmation

Again many thanks for all assistance

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the model # ??

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

I looked at my schematic diagram for my 1988 40 hp. [ OMC service manual] You are correct on wire to tan one to ground.

neptune1961

Cadet

I looked at my schematic diagram for my 1988 40 hp. [ OMC service manual] You are correct on wire to tan one to ground.

I have 3 different manuals and in all it is difficult to determine the exact wiring for this engine - But thanks for the confirmation

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad you were able to get the trim switch taken care of. You should try to find the OMC service manual for your OB. I found one for mine on Ebay for $16 (85TL79). It was the best money spent on the project so far. The link below could possibly serve as an additional reference resource until you get your service manual. Page 11 may be of particular interest for your wiring.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...2-ae1b-765eff8e6cfb@sessionmgr11&vid=5&hid=10

neptune1961

Cadet

Glad you were able to get the trim switch taken care of. You should try to find the OMC service manual for your OB. I found one for mine on Ebay for $16 (85TL79). It was the best money spent on the project so far. The link below could possibly serve as an additional reference resource until you get your service manual. Page 11 may be of particular interest for your wiring.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...2-ae1b-765eff8e6cfb@sessionmgr11&vid=5&hid=10

Thanks for the link Will, however it does not go into the link and stops at the host site - However I have now found a manual and am hoping this is the one - It is the Johnson Manual for the 35A to 50hp for 1987 - found it on EBAy and cost me $40, so hopefully worth the wait - Comes from Minnesota all the way to Perth in Western Australia - Really feel isolated out her

Again thanks for the assistance