Service and Maintenance on '77 Johnson 85hp

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Service and Maintenance on '77 Johnson 85hp

The engine looks great. You should have a nice looking outboard when finished!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work on the rebuild so far...I have been following along because I have a '75 85hp Johnson also on my boat.

Thanks for the great thread!!

kbait

Commander

Paint a motor before you have it running? You have the confidence of Muhammad Ali.
ali.jpg

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for nice words.

Kbait- it makes a whole lot more sense to me to paint the parts I've already got cleaned up while they're off the engine. 2 bucks worth of paint and an extra hour's time while doing other things. Besides, the inside of the motor is CLEAN.

Que up the parts motor.

The old stator was rusted and it was not worth messing with. I replaced that and also the flywheel to match the tolerance.

Turned it over- no spark.

I suspected the starter might not be turning it fast enough so I replaced it. Sure enough - spun the flywheel at twice the speed.

No spark.

I replaced the power pack.

Spark! on wires two and four.

Relaced the trigger.

Solid spark on 4 wires!

I'll put the gaskets in when they arrive. I won't have to tear much off from the ignition to get at that.

I cannot emphasize enough how important the service manual was. Some of wires were very hard to identify due to age and there was no label on the screw terminal.

Total investment to date: $575.00

Aftermarket parts new would have been about $1300 alone.

Next up - carbs.

rewired 1.jpg rewired 2.jpg rewired 3.jpg

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last bit of aesthetic engine restoration for a while. It's not exactly vintage but in the same spirit.

I've decided I would like to put 115 carbs on it. This is something I'm going to have my father-in-law help me with since he's retired and always been a gear head anyway.

With information from another thread and other internet sites I was going to change the jet size but the '75 115 carb and 77 '85 carbs are hard to compare. Any advice? paint 2.jpg