updating a 63 40 hp evinrude to electronic ignition>???

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what are the odd of changeing a 63 rude from mag to electronic iginition? can it be done? whats your opinion?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: updating a 63 40 hp evinrude to electronic ignition>???

I don't know if they are still made, but there used to be a module that replaced the points and condenser.

Personally, I think the old OMC Universal Magneto was pretty darn good. I wouldn't change it. But that's just me.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like magnetos too. :)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you can find some of the old Atomic modules these will do away with points and condenser. I installed quite a few years ago and they work great. Really helps out if armature plate is sloppy...

lindy46

Captain

Keep it original

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Personally. I think the factory magneto system is a lot cheaper and easier to find when things fail. Parts for electronic ignitions are spendy and really don't do anything for engine performance.

kfa4303

Banned

I would keep it in the universal magneto set up too. They're so reliable and easy to work on that I wouldn't bother trying to "fix" it. Just my 2 pennies.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I know a guy that did it just for the reason Faztbullet stated, his mag plate was sloppy on his early 50s 15hp and was having trouble setting the points.

Funny thing is, with a faulty bearing, the mag plate was the least of his worries.

I could see this being used where the original ignition is just too hard to find in certain locations, or to just say you did it.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if to say i was to go this route what would i need to do ? what would i need to change?? just looking at possibilities..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you use the modules it takes longer to remove flywheel than to install them. To install you remove the points and condenser,mount with single screw, attach coil primary wire and your done. It uses the coils position to magnet to fire in time. I installed about 30 sets of these when Sierra carried them and the duck hunters loved em as the engine started quicker and idled much better...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, darn. It might be worth a try. :)

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys i think i will give it a try just to see and let everyone know how i made out with it after the holidays.. sounds like a neat little setup but who knows maybe it might just backfire in my face as to the ease of use it will be..

i will keep you guys posted..

if anyone has anymore info or if anyone has already done this please let us all know...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have heard if you get no fire after the install , reverse the wires

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does anyone know if you can use these atom modules with electric start ????

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You can try these (go to middle of the page - Nova II modules).

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1elect.htm

They will work in pretty much any magneto ignition motor, as long as the flywheel has only one magnet. I ran a pair in a Johnson 6hp outboard for several years. My only negative observation, was that I felt that the engine didn't idle as well as with conventional ignition.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys i have purchased the atom modules and will be installing them soon to find out if they work or not as intended.. i will let everyone know the results and will post a u-tube video with them once i get it all back together.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Would like to hear how it goes...

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well everyone i just installed the ATOM MODULES today. i have spark but havent tryed tgo actually start the motor as of yet. i am in need of some parts before i give her a actuall realt start up. i will let you guys know how that goes in the enxt few days as i will be recicveing some parts soon,

i will make a video for everyone to see how it starts and all the good stuff. thats if it starts and if it doesnt then no video lol

Status
Not open for further replies.