85 Johnson 115 Lower Motor cover/pan interchangability and replacement

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can anyone advise me if the Lower motor covers are interchangable between the 73-77 motor style and the 79- 95 motor style? I picked up a newly rebuilt 1985 Johnson 115 that took a fall from a display stand and cracked the lower motor cover. The Upper cowl will still fit on it and latch, but not correctly. I have 2 lower motor covers from 73 - 77 motors(a 73 and a 75 I believe). Will these fit the 85 motor? I looked at the parts diagrams for several years and they have different parts numbers for each year I looked at. These are all crossflows. I can not tell to look at them if there are any differences from the diagrams.

Secondly, what do you need to remove to replace the lower motor cover? I have a manual, but it advises to pretty much strip the powerhead including the carbs and intake. This seems like overkill to me just to lift the powerhead up a few inches to clear the lower cover and then swap them out. Does anyone have any tips on replacing the pan? I have swapped complete powerheads on different lowers units in the past with out stripping parts off, but I would rather ask for advise before I end up working harder on this than I need too. Thanks in advance for any help, hopefully this will be my winter project.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 85 Johnson 115 Lower Motor cover/pan interchangability and replacement

bump

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I would think your looking at pulling power head off. Can you repair lower cover eg jb we'll or something?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry if this ends up as a double post, but the first one didn't go through initially:

I plan to pull the powerhead, just don't think I need to strip it as the manual suggest. My real question is will the lower pans I have from 73-77 motors fit my 85 motor. I know that the upper cowls fit between all of them. I also thought about using JB weld, but the lower pan is now kind of egg shaped and while the cowl does fit it does not fit well, and I would just like it right.

I would like to have all the needed parts on hand raise the powerhead until it clears, replace the lower pan, and then put it all back together. I really don't want to get it raised and then find out that the pans will not switch between models and have to find a different pan in mid repair.

Does anyone know if a 73 or 75 pan will fit on a 85 motor? Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Have you measured the spacing of the 4 mounting holes on both lower cowls to see if they will bolt up? Does the 85 upper cowl fit perfectly on your replacement lower cowling?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have not measured the bolts yet, but the upper cowl does fit perfectly, all three uppers can be interchanged and fit perfectly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

In 1979 the powerhead castings changed. The difference was in the type of bracket that supported the lower cowl. The1978/prior engine blocks were drilled and tapped to accept a bracket which supported the lower cowling. These brackets had their own part numbers. The 1979 and later powerheads had the brackets cast into them. I am not sure if the change to the mounting type/method made any difference to the dimensions of the lower cowling mounting holes.

Last edited:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks!