1987 50hp Johnson trim and tilt wiring question

neptune1961

Cadet
Hoping someone can help

I have an 87 Johnson 50hp with trim and tilt. I have recently upgraded to this motor and am busy installing and currently doing the wiring. I have purchased a number of download manuals and CD's and have a seloc manual, however am unable to determine the correct wiring for the trim and tilt as well as the VRO oil tank

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent manual that will allow me to complete the wiring?

I have a black wire from the trim cylinder that connects to a brown wire and seems to go no-where - the wiring diagram shows the end of the brown wire is connected to the 'ohm' - what would this be?

I also have only one wire conected to the trim gauge to the remote controller

I have a trim switch, separate to the remote handle switch which I can not pick up where this would connect?

The oil tank has two black wires leading off it - Where do they go? the engine is a VRO and hence separate oil container

Any assistance is appreciated

Many thanks
:confused:

neptune1961

Cadet
Re: 1987 50hp Johnson trim and tilt wiring question

Many thanks for the diagram

I picked this up in my Johnson manual but was concerned as there is absolutely no mention of the wiring through any solenoid or relay switch. The cables I got with the engine had no sign of any relays as well, however it makes sense to have a relay because of the draw of current - use lighter wiring.

I would have thought it would be more self explanatory in the manual and also no where on the BRP parts schematics pages can I find any reference to relays and solonoids as in part numbers so presumably I can use standard auto relays for this function

Again many thanks for your response - trully appreciated

Murray

Figment51

Cadet
Re: 1987 50hp Johnson trim and tilt wiring question

If you have a 2 wire motor this is your basic diagram

TnTwiring 2 wire motor.JPG

If it is a 3 wire use this the red wire is green for tilt green is down for grass and blue up for sky

trim tilt diagramx.JPG

JR