1959 evinrude 5.5, parts swap with 1962 sea king 5hp?

bo7348

Cadet
Hello, im new to the forum but have been visiting this site for some time, i have an old evinrude 5.5 that i found at a friends, anyway it had been under a shed for many years, probably longer than i have been alive, well i brought it home and had one of the plastic one line tanks, i ran the gas line, and then the air line to a fitting i screwed into the gas cap, i set and cleaned points, carb rebuild using old float, ran great... after a while i ran too hard up to the bank and submerged it, it wouldent start, so it sat back at my house for another couple years, i have since got it free but broke two head bolts flush... put it back together and it runs, i just got a line on a 1962 sea king 5hp that is in better condition for 50$, i know that they are very similar, but what are the only differences? and i plan on using the best condition parts and start swapping...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 evinrude 5.5, parts swap with 1962 sea king 5hp?

Well, they were virtually identical, below the lower shroud. If you got a good running Sea King, then I would use the Evinrude for parts. The lower units are interchangeable and a lot of other things are. The powerheads are quite a lot different though. The Sea King does not have a detachable head.

bo7348

Cadet

thanks, i plan on goin to pick up the sea king this week, this evinrude just runs soo good and smooth im hooked lol, would the points plate interchange, carb, coils, and things like that change cause my evinrude has newer coils, and the sea king has old ones from what the owner says..

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

What's wrong with the Evinrude, that you want to replace it with a Sea King? If it's running good, then you're good to go?

They do take the same ignition components, but there may be minor differences in the mag plate itself.

bo7348

Cadet

Well, the evinrude has two broken head bolts, and the points plate has some slack in it, which causes it to run rough, and the tiller handle seems very stiff.. I had the points plate off the other day and actually found that spinning it and then bolting it back on pulled out some slack, and then it got very hard to start, pulled the carb and the float was heavy and soaked and fell to pieces...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh well shucks. Those are minor issues. I would rekit the carb. Take the tiller handle apart and clean and re-grease the moving parts. As far as the head bolts go, you can possibly get them out, once you remove the head. Put some heat on the studs and get them nice and hot and they'll have a better chance of coming out. As for the mag plate, you'll want to make sure the coil faces are lined up perfectly with the machined bosses. That way, the flywheel won't rub on them. Then of course check the gaps on your points and see that they're clean.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i did powerhead repair to take out broken bolt.
i run in extra problems trying to head broken bolt area-aluminium melted.
so i went to auto repair shop.they did good job for fair price.
drill out broken bolt, welded melted area and resurfaced welded area.
now 8,5 bar compresion
http://www.youtube.com/user/iboats1?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/GaOWC-Y9SkE

Attachments

• DSCF2989.jpg
    DSCF2989.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0