rewiring evinrude lost cable

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an evinrude e15el4eeb motor lost the cable that runs to control box.how cn I wire this so I can just wire it to a flip switch to start.I do not have funds to buy cable at this time and I need to use this motor since my johnson 20 thermastat decided to fall apart n smoked the engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: rewiring evinrude lost cable

You not only need to START the engine, but you need to choke it as well as stop it so you need more than just the start capability.

1) Red wire (+12 volts) runs from the engine to the "B" terminal on the switch.
2) The two "M" terminals on the switch are from the magneto and ground.
3) The "C" terminal on the switch feeds the choke/primer solenoid
4) The "S" terminal feeds the small "S" terminal on the starter solenoid.
5) The "A" terminal feeds the instruments on the console (if you have any).
6) There is a ground wire in the factory harness but it does not connect to the ignition switch. It is the ground for anything being fed by the "A" terminal.
If you need more than this, visit your library and see if they have a service manual for your engine. It doesn't need to be the same exact year and model. The harness is fairly generic across the years.

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You lost me on the switch.I do not hv any switches or console to motor.I have just motor.need to find which wires to hook up.when movin lost cable n sold old boat with control console.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The switch I refer to is the ignition switch. If you don't have one, you need to obtain one (right here on IBoats). You can accomplish the same thing with Radio Shack On/Off and push button switches but you will need one SPST for ON-OFF, one push button for START, another for CHOKE and still have a crude system. Do it right. Ignition switches are not expensive. Where did I lose you on the switch. All terminals on the switch are labeled.