70 hp evinrude tell tale re route...wow

mortymolly

Cadet
Hey guys so I did the tell tale retro..drilling into the water jacket high up over no.1 cyl....my tell tale stream is so hard it actually hurts to keep your hand in front of it.....has anyone done this retro and has seen a dramatic rise in stream pressure..and should I be alarmed...I do know for a fact I am getting no air pockets....anyone?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 70 hp evinrude tell tale re route...wow

Some of the routes in the water jacket are smaller diameter than the others causing an increase in pressure. You must have drilled into one of those. Don't worry about a thing. It's amazing to see just how much water circulates through an outboard, especially a 70 horse. That's a valuable asset (seeing the pee stream) and just may save your motor one of these days. Good job!

Chris2458

Recruit

Just a query guys I have an early 70's 70 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke Evinrude on the leg there is a plate that has on it stamped Model No 70979R and Serial No A351103 am assumming motor was built pre 1973. I can't find any tell tale stream so am hoping this motor doesn't have one. Have started the motor with the cover off and had my fingers tips on the cover alongside the cylinders and was able to hold them there for about 35 seconds before it got to hot to leave them there. The reason for the concern is about4 months ago I took the boat out and whilst running the overheat alarm went off and then continued to go off and remain on every time the key went to the start position, even if the motor wasn't running. The auto electrician said the wiring on the side of motor (same side as i have just used for the touch test) hadn't been properly insulated and the plastic had melted so much that the copper core had been exposed on the alarm wire and it was earthing out.

Am going away for 4 days next weekend and don't want to damage motor, so after doing touch test think water pump is working properly and know a new impeller was fitted 12 months ago. So really just need confirmation that one the motor isn't fitted with a tell tale and 2. After doing the touch test it doesn't appear to be overheating?

PS motor was run in a tub of water, covering the lower 1/3 of the leg with water 3 to 4 inches above the point where you put the rabbit ears on and yes if it doesn't have a tell tale i will be getting one fitted.

I am in Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the replies in advance

Christopher

AlTn

Commander

if it could be a 70E79R..it would be a 1979 model....looks like 1974 was the first year for the 70....1979 model should have a telltale..marineengine.com has diagrams of your motor which show a telltale in the cylinder/crankcase section if it's a indeed a '79

Oxlander

Recruit

To the OP.

I have done this mod to my '77 70 hp (model #70773s). This model did not come from the factory with a tale-tell. I felt it necessary to install one to prevent major damage someday.

Drilled and tapped into the water jacket on the top of cylinder#1. Routed hose down the starboard side of the engine, next to the powerpack and to the case. Drilled hole in the case and used fitting as described in the TSB. I installed the fitting so that the stream ejects sideways. This way, while driving, I can glance over my right shoulder to see the stream.

While operating, the stream has enough force to spray nearly 20'.

So, to answer your question, yes it is very powerful.