2004 90 E-Tec Question

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice
Was this a good year for E-Tec. I have a boat I am considering buying which is a 175 Sea Hunt Escape with a 2004 90 Etec with 95 hours on it. The asking price is $13,000. Looking for opinions on price and motor.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 2004 90 E-Tec Question

Get a dealer to download the engine history report. If that's OK and the gearcase doesn't have any water, should be OK. The engine is worth ~ $3500 to 4000, the boat ~ $5000. This is a really crappy market for sellers ... I wouldn't offer anything over $9K, unless the whole deal is extremely pristine. I've sold a few boats over the past year at about 50% of what they would have brought in a better market.

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the good points you have given me. The boat looks great in pictures; will see when I actually see it. Can any evinrude dealer pull an engine history report or can I ask for the serial number on the boat and request that from a source like a "Boat Facts"
service. Thanks for giving me the value of the engine and the boat. I agree that $13,000 is asking too much and I will make a lower offer if I completely pursue a purchase.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The report is downloaded from the motor's EMM (computer) by any E-Tec certified Evinrude dealer. Not available from any other source. Most dealers will charge $75 to 100 for this, so I would get the seller to provide it. Make sure the dealer does an injector drop test as part of the deal. It only takes a few minutes to do the whole deal.