WOT Timing Procedure Evinrude V4 115 SPL 1998

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As per Joe's post HERE
I don't fancy setting the timing at sea and WOT so thought I would try it Joe's way.
I have a couple of questions, can someone help me out please?

• How do I identify if my engine has the FAST START FEATURE, I'm assuming it hasn't but as I dont know what to look for i'm not sure.
  • "Set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary)". I'm not sure I understand this correctly :confused:

Ben

Haffiman

Commander
Re: WOT Timing Procedure Evinrude V4 115 SPL 1998

1998 ought to be an OIS ignition system which is normally set with a special tool: Ignition analyzer, with engine not running. It may be set with a timing light.
Give full throttle, remove all spark plugs and hook up a spark tester or keep plugs in boots but secure to ground. Be sure quick-start is deactivated by removing the yellow/red from solenoid to power pack and ground the Black/white (harness end) from temp switch.
Crank the engine and set the timing by using the HIGH tab only. On this system, no 4-degrees difference in reading and setting!!!

daselbee

Commander

I really like the method of disconnecting the timing linkage, starting the motor, leave throttles CLOSED, and then manually advancing the timing linkage to the WOT stop. Read and adjust timing then. (Shut down motor for the adjusting part!!)

No 4 degree adjustment required, no disabling of Quickstart, no plug removal/grounding, etc. Reconnect timing linkage and GO.

So, I wonder, is there some reason that this method is not widely used, or IS it used, but no one talks much about it?

Haff...what do you think?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Daselbee, can you describe that timing method in detail? Seems like a good alternative to the Reeves method.

daselbee

Commander

Sure....

It is just as I described it....but varies from motor to motor. (Maybe that is why it is not widely recommended...too many variations...)

Anyway. I am going to go real basic here, OK?
As you know, timing on these OBs is all mechanical. The timer base rotates under the flywheel to effectively change the point in time when the pack is triggered to fire.
Optical is the same way, but it uses a light source and wheel with slots in it to trigger the pack. The wheel with slots simply rotates around as you advance the throttle.

You can watch the movement on the timer base models fairly easily. Just look up under the flywheel while you advance throttle (engine OFF). TB will rotate around and hit some sort of stopping device. Maybe a metal boss, maybe a screw with a rubber tip on it...something to positively stop that TB rotation when the throttle is at WOT. It rotates about 25 degrees from idle position to WOT position.

So, with that in mind, you will study your complete throttle linkage and find a very conveninet place to disconnect the timing function from the throttle function. It will be there somehere. On my V6 loopers, you just pop the TB timing rod loose right where it attaches to the TB. It is very easy. Some models will require a different method.

Once you have that TB disconnected, and you can advance it by hand, you are ready.

Rig up a manual way to move the now loose TB. I use a piece of coat hanger bent to a hook. KEEP THROTTLES CLOSED. Start engine, muffs, etc....let it warm up to correct operating temp, get your timing light ready, and slowly advance the timing all the way to the stop by manually rotating the free rotating timer base.

THE THROTTLE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN CLOSED.

The engine will rev up, race up to maybe 2500 or so, but it will not go much beyond that. The engine is now at WOT timing because the timer base is against the stop. You check the timing, let's say like on my engine V6 looper....and find for instance it is at 16*.. OK, shut engine down, adjust the stop, re-start and check again. Once I get 18* (my spec, yours might be different), it is set and will probably never need checking again, unless TB or flywheel is changed.

So, it is not as complicated as it sounds. Just find that linkage separation point, disconnect it, start engine, rotate TB manually to stop, check timing and set as required, reconnect linkage.

Go boating.

EDIT:

I have used this method on V6 loopers, V4 crossflows, three cyl 70s and an old Force 50.
I have not used it on an optical yet, but should work.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey Ben, your engine does not have the timer base stop as it uses that POS half moon linkage. It is adjusted by making the timer base rod (linkage) shorter or longer. Do your sync and link on the carbs and throttle to ensure they are getting WOT and hitting throttle stop and then you can set the timing. First use a dial indicator to make sure timing pointer is in correct position and then use Joes cranking method and forget about it hitting a stop as the rod is your stop.

daselbee

Commander

Ah...there's the answer to my question....it won't work on all engines....

For those engines that it will work on....try it you may like it. I learned the method I described right here on this forum, and I really like it.

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First use a dial indicator to make sure timing pointer is in correct position and then use Joes cranking method and forget about it hitting a stop as the rod is your stop.
Hi Faztbullet, I don,t know what a dial indicator is but I'm assuming its similar to the "piston stop" tool you use to get the pointer at exactly TDC mark? If so I've already done that so the pointer is already set?
I've done the sync and link too so I'm assuming I'm ready to go with Joe's method? Before I do does my engine have the fast start feature? I,m again assuming no because you didn't mention it in your reply?
My engine specs give 26deg BTDC so I set to 22 right?
Cheers Fastbullet and sorry for soooo many questions

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

No QS as its a crossflow....

Haffiman

Commander

Daselbee:
First we have to split between the two systems.
The old CDI with induction activated trigger. The time when the trigger reaches its triggering voltage will depend on the revs of the fly-wheel. Joes methode gives that at cranking rev, the max advanced read out will be about 4 degrees later than at engine running WOT. My rough guess will be that in your suggestion, the difference might only be around 2 degrees due to higher revs. If engine has quick start, it must be disabled in both cases.
The second system, the OIS operates by optical (light) triggering and is not rpm dependable. What you read at any rpm will be 'the same' and no correction needed. On the OIS systems the triggering in quick-start happens when light 'opens' and under normal operation when 'closes'.

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info guys ..............ALL very useful
:)

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info guys ..............ALL very useful :)