Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Well, I bought my first boat this fall (1980s Cobia SS200, 19' centre console with a 1992 Evinrude 120, power tilt and trim on a jack plate). Only ran it once; lots of power, needs the carbs cleaned. Don't think it'll happen before spring!

I wanted a kicker, both for trolling and as a backup for the main motor. I was hoping for a 90s Evinrude in white, just so it matched the 120. But I'm cheap, and handy, so when I saw an 18 HP Fastwin advertised locally for $100, I went to have a look.

It was seized; the fellah told me he had been given the motor by a friend, and had seen it running, but that it had been sitting for a while. He had had it *almost* starting, and expected that the coils were probably bad.

I talked him down to $90 (with a NOS spare prop!) and brought it home assuming the worst; cracked head, melted pistons etc. Hey, worst case scenario, I part it out and make my money back!

Here's what it looked like this morning; looks like all original paint to me. Pretty clean under the hood, and the lower unit is very tidy. (I'll refinish and repaint the hood when I'm done with the mechanics.)

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Thought about getting / building a stand... then remembered that I had a couple of those hinged sawhorse frames. A short length of 2x8 and some cross-bracing, and voila - outboard stand. :)

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Took off the starter rope assembly, and went to my local car parts store. They have a "Loan a Tool" program, so I borrowed their harmonic balancer puller. Grabbed some extra 3" 1/4"-20 screws (since all the screws in the kit were larger and/or bent).

IMG_0392.jpg

Bolted it all up, put a 19mm lug wrench on the puller, and hauled. *POP* Yay, step one done.

- Duncan

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

The... err... whatchama-call-it plate was just as the seller had said; coil insulation completely broken down. The points were covered with oil, as well; I'm not surprised the thing wouldn't fire.

IMG_0394.jpg

Pulled the plugs, and shot some penetrating fluid (bow chicka bow bow) into the cylinders, in the hope that by the time I got that far, they'd be loose. OH, I suppose I should mention... this is my first two-stroke rebuild, but I'm no stranger to oily bits. I have an old car hobby / problem (mostly older VWs, Volvo, Mercedes & MG) and have rebuild a couple of engines, so while I'm not a mechanic, I have maybe 65% of the skills & tools I'll need to do this... and I'm willing to bluff / fake the remaining 35%!!

Disconnected and bagged various accessories & brackets, eventually pulled off the head. Head gasket toast, combustion chambers surprisingly OK! Pistons still frozen solid.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

More accessory removal... Pulled off the foot (looks very clean, gears feel good, Fwd / Neutral / Reverse engage smoothly). Had the hardest time removing the power head, until I finally dug around underneath, and found the one screw I'd missed!

IMG_0405.jpg

Pulled everything off the block; had a hard time splitting it, until I removed the plate that holds the reed valves, and found the two hex-head bolts that were holding it together (despite my best efforts to pry it apart)! :S Once they were out, the case separated nicely. Crank looks good; bearing surfaces all look pretty clean, should polish up nicely with a bit of emery cloth. Either the motor has had *very* little use, or it's been rebuild at some point; given the paint and the state of the electrics, I'm guessing the former.

-Duncan

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Tried to bash the pistons out (with the wooden handle of a large rubber mallet). They moved; then stopped. I bashed away for a while... before turning the block over, and noticing that they can't exit the head from the bottom. D'oh!! disconnected the rods and tapped out the pistons through the top.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Oddly, one of the pistons and rings is as-new; the other looks like the rings have seized in their lands (grooves), and have machined themselves right down flush with the piston wall. No idea why. (Any guesses?) Anyhoo, I'll measure, but I'm guessing I can get away with a thorough cleaning, new rings and a quick hone. (I'm pretty sure the spring-loaded hone that I had for my MG Midget should fit the 'Rude bore.)

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

And that's where we sit at the end of Day 1. Four of the screws on the side cover wouldn't come off; I'll fight with them tomorrow, but for now the block is soaking in degreaser. Tomorrow I'll order some parts; so far the list is;

Qty Part
2] NGK B8S SPARK PLUGS
1] 439071 CARB KIT (haven't checked, but I'm sure it's needed)
1] 322332 HEAD GASKET (should be included in gasket kit)
1] 775518 IMPELLER
1] 403 THERMOSTAT
1] 308328 THERMOSTAT GASKET
1] 310058 THERMOSTAT SEAL

Probably about $200 in parts; if I can get it to as-new shape for under $400 all in, I'll be happy. More to follow soon!

- Duncan

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Oh; I'm not posting every single little photo, but they are all available, at photobucket.com/fastwin

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Tried to bash the pistons out (with the wooden handle of a large rubber mallet). They moved; then stopped. I bashed away for a while... before turning the block over, and noticing that they can't exit the head from the bottom. D'oh!! disconnected the rods and tapped out the pistons through the top.

- Duncan

Looks like good progress!!

I'd be on the look-out for a service manual - would have kept you from bashing the piston for awhile...

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Nice work!, I'm guessing the ugly piston was the bottom one? laid where moister got to that one maybe.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust cover screws give everyone trouble, no worries. Penetrating oil and an impact gun should pop them off.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The exhaust cover screws give everyone trouble, no worries. Penetrating oil and an impact gun should pop them off.

Hmm, I'll fire up the compressor... Not sure if I have a flathead screwdriver bit big enough for the job though! Ah well, good excuse for a new toy... Seems like a stupid place for a screwdriver fastener though, I'd be tempted to replace them with hex-head bolts. Good idea?

Looks like good progress!!

I'd be on the look-out for a service manual - would have kept you from bashing the piston for awhile...

A bit of common sense should have kept me from doing that! ;) But yes... I'll grab one off ebay ASAP!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have a cordless impact driver that I use, and have twisted many a standard bit trying to get those screws out! Not to mention many a bloody knuckle. I wish they would have put a hex bolt there too.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking at your parts list... you might want to get Champion spark plugs. (They seem to perform better...)

Anyhow - you have a nice looking outboard there.

Keep posting pics of your progress.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hell, I brought home 18's that were stuck and looked much worse that yours and got them running like a dream. But since you got it apart, you can better see what you have. Those pistons look like they should clean up nicely. Hone the cylinders out and put new rings in, and you should have a heck of a good motor. ;)

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a really fun project! Keep us posted with all the good pics!

Mas

Arctic 33

Seaman Apprentice

I am learning alot from these post.

Looks good.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

MY first OB rebuild was a old 68 V 4 85 HP Sea horse.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Zephyr! Actually, when I was researching the motor, it was a lot of your old threads that kept popping up! Please don't be shy to chime in when I start going astray! ;)

11 exhaust screws have yielded to my might. :D Two resist me still... But even they shall yield, in the fullness of time. *shakes fist*

I've hit them with a propane torch, used penetrating fluid... tried the impact gun, but my local Princess Auto (Cdn equivalent of Harbor Freight) didn't have large flat head bits (?!!?) only 5/16" or smaller. I'll have to shop around, before punishing myself any further.

Oh, and; bought the service manual on CD on Ebay, for $17 or so. I'll print out the whole thing (at work of course! ;) I said I was cheap, right?) so I've got a print copy, but I'm happy to have it digitally as well.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool. My threads got your attention huh? :D Don't worry, I think you'll do just fine. These old 18's are simple to work on and pretty forgiving. It's my second most favorite motor, next to the Big Twin class, which I currently have 5 of those in my posession. LOL One of those is a '59 Lark that I picked up for parts and I just might get ambitious and rebuild the powerhead this comming up summer. Luckily enough, I only have one exhaust cover screw on it, giving me a tough time, but I think it'll come out after I put some heat on it.
Yea, I have one of those service manuals on CD as well. I never have actually taken the time to look through it. Let me know how it all works out.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ONE bolt left... Knock on wood, I haven't sheared any off yet, and the threads all look like they'll clean up with just a tap. The crappy little bit set I bought, the largest flathead bit shattered upon first attempt with impact gun. Note to self; move up a size, to a BFH. ;)

Oh, and... the dangers of starting a blog. Now when I do google searches (Fastwin, 18502, 18HP) I find my own page! :p

levi_tsk

Ensign

you might try removing the head of the bolt pulling the exaust cover and using heat and a pair of channel locks to turn it out - ive had to do that in the past and it works pretty darn good

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've just had a flash!! Since there's only one bolt left, shouldn't I just be able to turn the whole cover? Or do the innards protrude into the cavity formed by the cover? Must go home and try...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that is one great motor; thanks for bringing it back to life! i wish I still had mine

Status
Not open for further replies.