140 Looper to V6 Conversion?? Is it possible??

Stephan_from_Oz

Recruit
G'day from Down Under,

I have a 16ft Bullet that I am in the process of restoring. Current there's late 80's model Johnson 140 V4 Looper that meet a sad demise. I was wondering if it is to easily screw a V6 powerhead in its place and if so, is there any pitfalls that I should avoid. Ideally +200hp would be great. The boat performs well with the 140 however the additional horsepower/torque wouldn't go astray.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Cheers,
Steph

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 140 Looper to V6 Conversion?? Is it possible??

Sounds highly unlikely to me but I'm not an V4/V6 expert. Others will reply. Easy way to tell is to look up the parts diagrams for both and compare the base (exhaust) gaskets to see if they are the same. Again, highly unlikely.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The lower unit (gearcase) for the V4 looper is different from a V6 looper. (exception:For one year only-both 85 V4 loopers used V6 lower units.) Problem is that any of the V4 lower units use different gear ratios than a V6 gearcase. (including the 85's) Also, looks like the powerhead base gasket is different between the V4 and V6-which means the powerheads are not identical on the bottom.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Change the adapter plate,tuner,add correct lower unit(gear ratio and crankshaft length)and it will work, be a lot easier to just slap the complete 200 on it. That boat would really perform best with a 175 60? Johnrude as it a whole lot lighter than the 200.