which way is up?

ArneA

Seaman
Reassembling my AD10M and the Johnson parts catalog shows two parts that I have forgotten which way they go in. It is in the Gearcase Assembly Group, part numbers 5 and 6. The diagram is a little fuzzy for me to see. Does part number 6 go in cup up or cup down? I am assuming that it goes cup up because there is nothing under it except for a pin through the driveshaft. The other part which is number 5 is a spring. I have forgotten which end fits into part number 4. One end is flattened and the other end is not.
Got some good eye balls around that can help with this.
Thank you.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: which way is up?

I was just in the basement as we speak putting together an AD10. Had a few parts motors around so made 1 out of 3, lol.

Anyways, the cup goes up on the washer, #6, which the spring sits in.

That seal is very important, without it your powerhead is scrap metal. Take care to see it fits properly.

ArneA

Seaman

I was just in the basement as we speak putting together an AD10. Had a few parts motors around so made 1 out of 3, lol.

Anyways, the cup goes up on the washer, #6, which the spring sits in.

That seal is very important, without it your powerhead is scrap metal. Take care to see it fits properly.
Thank you, I purchased a new seal and o ring (parts #4 & 3) The spring ends are different. One end is flat like a washer and the other is not...Is it the flat end that fits into part number 4, the seal?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, the flat part rides against the seal. The other end goes towards the dowel pin in the drive shaft.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Also, the washers above the seal were originally machined of brass. They since changed them to SS for better wearing qualities. If you have a brass one you should get the SS version.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Shouldn't you be playing with the kids instead of assembling outboards on a Saturday night? :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is something fishy here. That spring should be flat on both ends. Is it just part of a broken spring??

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Shouldn't you be playing with the kids instead of assembling outboards on a Saturday night? :)

You sound like my wife Steve!

I was a good boy today so she gave me a few hours of "tinker time" as she calls it.

ArneA

Seaman

I have no way to tell if it is broken or not on one end. The diagram that F_R sent does not show it flat on either end. I guess the only way to tell is to look at another spring,(which I do not have) or ask some of you folks to see if you have a good spring and send a picture so that I have a comparison.On my spring, at the end, the coil spacing diminishes to a completely flat surface which fits into the carbon seal. On the other end it does not diminish the coil spacing, it just ends like in F_R's diagram. Really appreciated this response because the power head has not been installed yet. It would have been but I discovered that the roll pin that I installed on the power shaft should be stainless. The one I put in is not stainless . I ordered a stainless pin so now have to take the lower unit out again and replace the Ace Hardware pin with a stainless pin. Just trying to do things right. Gonna mess up the paint on the bolts now because I just finished painting the lower unit which is another story. Evey bring lower unit or other parts inside to warm by the fireplace or wood stove for an hour or so and then hurry outside in the 25 degree weather, spray primer or paint for 10-15 seconds then run back inside and put the parts back by the wood stove to dry. I must be becoming one of these fanatic people that tinker with motors in all types of weather.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The picture I posted is somebody's drawing, not a true photo.

I am holding one here in my hand. It is flat on both ends and is 1-1/2 inches long

Sorry 'bout the weather. It is a sunny 71 degrees here.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, it sounds like you need a new spring there. If it's not flat on both ends, then it'll be eating neighboring parts for lunch.